Sign in to follow this  

Anybody ever change a broken shifter shaft?

Went racing this weekend and the shift lever broke off right where it goes into the engine case. I'm just curious if anyone has ever had to change one and if I will need special tools? I can assume that I will have to split the cases and remove the jug and basically disassemble the entire engine.

Any input or advice is appreciated!!

thanks in advance

Quik

I replaced the shifter shaft on my yz 125, all I had to do to do was remove the right side clutch cover and clutch basket. The shift shaft pulls right out. I would think it would be similar to my 03 yz250f. Wish I could shed more light on the subject for you.

What he said. I just had one of our 03s apart, and the shift shaft slides out exactly as stated.

The only dark side would be if the shift shaft is slightly bent or twisted and binds in the cases while it is removed. Most likely, the shaft didn't break away nice + clean, and you shouldn't beat on the shift shaft real hard. If the shaft seems reluctant to slide thru the cases, you could remove the seal, and try to grind away the offending material w/ a Dremel. Or, working on the shaft with a punch to pound down the high spots. Let's hope it doesn't come to that. :devil:

Good luck with it. :thumbsup:

Well.....6 hours later and a whole lot of extra work that didn't need to be done.... It's out!! Just like you guys said, I just needed to remove the right side covers, clutch assy, water pump,...etc and you can slide the shifter shaft right out!! You don't even have to remove the engine from the bike! Now........I wonder how much$$$ and how long to get it?? I need it by this coming weekend.....got races to go to!! :thumbsup:

Thank for all the input guys!! :devil:

Quik!!