Sign in to follow this  

Red Sticker Count down

I don't if anyone else has red sticker bikes, but I can't wait until next month so I can ride at more places. I don't love riding trails in the summer because of the dust and heat, but I need to get on my bike. It's kind of a bummer. When we bought our bikes Sacramento (Praire City) wasn't enforcing the red sticker months, so we figured we can could always go there during the summer months. The year we got the bikes is the same time they started enforcing it. :thumbsup: Oh well.

Sorry to keep rambling on. I think we will plan a Hollister trip in a few weeks. They open up to Red Sticker bikes Oct 1st. I can't wait. :devil:

Why not just ride at CC camp, Cow Mountain or Stonyford??? Virtually all riding areas in Norcal are not patrolled or have a check point. I always thought that the whole Red Sticker thing was for smog issues in Socal...

Shoot, never been checked for red sticker in my life!

I just don't enjoy Stoneyford in the Summer months. We always go up with a friend who knows it pretty well. Every time we have gone down in late spring it has been so dusty it is pretty hard to see. A half a day of that and I feel miserable. :devil: Last time I thought I was going to hack up a lung. I have heard there are better areas up there, but we haven't found them. We have never been up to CC Camp or Cow Mountain. We were going to drive up that way and try to find were it is at. We were supposed to go up with a few people that ride there a few times, but plans fell through. Do you and your hubby ride there? If so, how long does it take you to get there from Redding?

I am so ready for some rain, but I know it is going to be a while. :thumbsup:

Yeah, pkley is my hubbie...

It's pretty dusty, I agree. We haven't been there since

April. It's takes us about 2.5 hours from Redding. It was supposed to rain up here today/Monday but it never happened!! :thumbsup::devil::awww:

stony and middlecreek can be dusty. ride with small groups, and leave bigger gaps, and head for the high country. there is typically way less dust when you get up to the higher trails.

i'm not a big fan of dust, so i always let the rider in front of me go until the dust starts to settle.

mw

CC camp is better than Cow Mountain (aka Elk Creek?) I always get confused...

From Napa it's probably only 1.5 hours away to CC. Just shoot up highway 29 and hang a left when it dead ends. Go until you come to the "metropolis" of Upper Lake (I think... boy am I helpfull :thumbsup:) In the center of town (not hard to miss)you take a right. You'll pass right thru the main staging area.

I believe that if you keep going on that road you hit Lake Pilsbury.

Some pretty good hill climbs and I heard they opened up a lot of new trails about 3 years ago, but didn't have the gas or knowledge to get to them...

Thanks for the all the info. :thumbsup: We will definitly go up there this season. I think I will wait until it rains. I have heard good things about Penny Pines. I guess that it is above CC camp. For now I will be dreaming muddy terrain. :devil:

I don't if anyone else has red sticker bikes, but I can't wait until next month so I can ride at more places. I don't love riding trails in the summer because of the dust and heat, but I need to get on my bike. It's kind of a bummer. When we bought our bikes Sacramento (Praire City) wasn't enforcing the red sticker months, so we figured we can could always go there during the summer months. The year we got the bikes is the same time they started enforcing it. :awww: Oh well.

Sorry to keep rambling on. I think we will plan a Hollister trip in a few weeks. They open up to Red Sticker bikes Oct 1st. I can't wait. :lol:

I meant to respond to this a while ago... I totally agree, girl, and am in the same boat! :devil: I bought my bike when we were riding down by the border, and I didn't know what all of it meant anyway, now they've started to crack down and it seems like I can't ride ANYWHERE! I'm damned if I do, damned if I don't... worrying about tresspassing isn't an issue 'cause even in an OHV area I'm screwed!

So I ride a lot of tracks... which gets spendy... Ugh. October can't get here soon enough! :thumbsup:

Hey Mxchic if you come to Hollister, let me know. I live right outside of Hollister and was there a couple of weekends ago. I'm still a new rider, but would like to find some more people to ride with! :cry: My guys are great, but I want to see what its like to ride with another girl. Besides, its always nice to put a face to a name.

The guys went to Cow Mountian for their first ride and said there were parts there that were pretty crazy. One of them found a great quote about Cow Mountian that they said described it exactly. Oh here it is.

"Once you have established for yourself that you really do know your limits and that you are ready to tackle terrain that will make grown men cry, you will be well on your way to discovering what Cow Mountain really has to offer."

If anyone is planning on going there let me know. My friends and I can day trip it out there easily. They had a good time and want to see what its like now with a few rides under their belts.

DRZCatastrophe- how far are you outside of Chico? The thought Redding was close. Maybe I am wrong.

It's just over a hour to Chico.

It takes us right at 1.5 hrs to get to Willows, the north turnoff to Stonyford. From there it's another 45 min at least to the main staging area.

Next time we'll probably try the south staging area, but I'm not sure DRZCat can ride out of that area... :cry:

Hey Mxchic if you come to Hollister, let me know. I live right outside of Hollister and was there a couple of weekends ago. I'm still a new rider, but would like to find some more people to ride with! :cry: My guys are great, but I want to see what its like to ride with another girl. Besides, its always nice to put a face to a name.

The guys went to Cow Mountian for their first ride and said there were parts there that were pretty crazy. One of them found a great quote about Cow Mountian that they said described it exactly. Oh here it is.

"Once you have established for yourself that you really do know your limits and that you are ready to tackle terrain that will make grown men cry, you will be well on your way to discovering what Cow Mountain really has to offer."

If anyone is planning on going there let me know. My friends and I can day trip it out there easily. They had a good time and want to see what its like now with a few rides under their belts.

DRZCatastrophe- how far are you outside of Chico? The thought Redding was close. Maybe I am wrong.

As of now, we are planning to go to Hollister Oct. 3rd which is a Sunday. I will PM you to verify that we are going that week. :cry: It will be me, my husband, and my brother-in-law for sure. I am also going to invite a couple guys that I train Martial Arts with, but that will be hit or miss. I am planning to ride pretty mellow for the first hour or so. I have done any consitant riding over the summer, so I feel like I need to warm up a bit. That would be great riding with a thumpette. :cry:

Ugh! I can’t do it that weekend. I will be flying in from my Caribbean/Hurricane cruise on Sunday the 3rd. You sound like a good riding match for me. :cry: Slow to start (confidence building), then off to some more advanced trails later in the day. One of my riding friends does Kung Fu and it sounds like we would have all gotten along really well. Oh well next time.

I don’t know how many times you’ve been down to Hollister, but we found a trail last time that we really liked. It’s blue level and was pretty fun/challenging. I’ll ask the guys what the name of it was and let you know. Anyway, if anyone is planning any northern Cali rides and want a few additional thumpers let me know. My friends and I are always up for a ride! :cry:

Ugh! I can’t do it that weekend. I will be flying in from my Caribbean/Hurricane cruise on Sunday the 3rd. You sound like a good riding match for me. :cry: Slow to start (confidence building), then off to some more advanced trails later in the day. One of my riding friends does Kung Fu and it sounds like we would have all gotten along really well. Oh well next time.

I don’t know how many times you’ve been down to Hollister, but we found a trail last time that we really liked. It’s blue level and was pretty fun/challenging. I’ll ask the guys what the name of it was and let you know. Anyway, if anyone is planning any northern Cali rides and want a few additional thumpers let me know. My friends and I are always up for a ride! :cry:

No Problem, we will meet up the next ride. We are basically waiting for the red sticker season to get here and then we will start up riding most weekends. We have actually only gone to Hollister once. I really liked it. I just want to see more of the trails. If you have any suggestions, I'm all ears. :cry: