Sign in to follow this  

Backfire screen.

How many of you guys/girls here have actually cut out the backfire screen? Will it make a truly noticable difference to my 03 YZ250F?<FORM METHOD=POST ACTION="http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/dopoll.php"><INPUT TYPE=HIDDEN NAME="pollname" VALUE="1095005747SeeR714">

Backfire Screen?

<input type="radio" name="option" value="1" />Yes

<input type="radio" name="option" value="2" />No

<INPUT TYPE=Submit NAME=Submit VALUE="Submit vote" class="buttons"></form>

I have done it, wasn't that hard really. Took a Dremel and cut the mesh and smoothed it out. I couldn't really tell a difference on my '04 though.

Okay, I did a search and read posts about people saying to buy a YZ125/YZ250 Airbox for my same year YZF. Can anyone tell me where to get one?

I think you just misspoke but all you need is the "air cage" not the airbox. Get one from the same year YZ125/250. They are about $20.00. Cheapest OEM parts I have found on the net are at www.ntyamaha.com

I have one. It does make a difference. I am also using a normal non-fire proof filter (maybe stupid :devil:) but if your jetted properly you shouldn't backfire so I figure its a calculated risk.

Twin Air is the only company I know of making a fireproof filter but I have heard it is more restrictive than a normal filter which may offset the benefit of removing the screen. :thumbsup:

The normal inner liner fine grain foam of twinair's filter is replaced with a very course grain coated foam for the backfire filter, or something that feels like foam at least.

The backfire filter flows more air than their normal filter does. But it doesnt filter nearly as well. so it has to be cleaned every ride. At least I clean ours every ride.