Sign in to follow this  

trail bike that can jump?

Hey guys, I've been riding a klx300r since I started riding and I love the bike, but the suspension sucks. I rode my friend's kdx220r and it just felt so much easier to take woops, like it just floated over them. The bike had a stiffer front spring but that's all. I love the torquey 300r and I usually ride at low throttle so I'm very hesitant to switch to a 250f for fear of lacking torque and a high maintenance engine... Now I'm thinking of just dropping a bunch of money on the KLX and redoing the suspension, carb, and exhaust...

Any suggestions? I like a lightweight bike that I can throw around on tight trails and I'm a little short. I ride all trails so far, but I love to jump and I bottom out the klx pretty easy now, and the suspension is just tiring to take woops with. What should I do?

The 250F mx bikes have alot more power than the klx300, the crf250x has the same amount of power and better suspension.

If you decide to get a 250F I'd say go with it. :thumbsup:

maybe I should clarify, the klx300r has enough power for me, I love the bike, I just want better suspension. I don't want to lose any torque or power switching bikes is all I'm worried about with a 250f (looking at yz250f) and I don't want a high maintenance bike, I take care of the KLX and never had a prob with it.

Jesse

The crf250x isn't a high maintanance bike at all, the suspension is way better, it has electric start, and its lighter.

The reviews on it are very good, but theirs been some complaints about the valves while other people dont have a problem at all with them. Look at the wr250f also, same features as the crfx.

I agree with the wr , backed with years of experience, you can't go wrong, only thing is, you need to change your oil and air filters often (like most 250 four strokes). You will be impressed with the power in these bikes, but you'll have to rev it a bit more than your bike to produce equal power than in your 300. Plus, you get less oil burning issues, and more reliable valves than a crf 250x. The suspension is better ( in my opinion ) than a kdx 200, and i cannot compare it to a crf, but alot of people say that the crf supension is flawless.

I'm gonna toss another vote for the WR into the pot. I love mine but is the 450... never rode a 250 before. The WR (as well as the CRF) use thier MX counterparts suspension, for the most part; meaning VERY nice suspension.

I don't really like the idea of giving up torque for a higher reving engine and taller seat height. Although, I don't need the electric start on the KLX, with the higher WR it would probably be nice. The KLX has no trouble at all climbing hills, even slowly in 3rd or 4th gear, I don't want to give up that low end torque, is the WR250 that much different?

hmmm, now here's the next question, Are there any well known problems with the '01 WR250F? I see a lot of them for sale, and rarely any '02s or '03s, mostly just '04s and '01s... Is there anything than can be done to the WR to get the great low end grunt that the KLX has? How about engine reliability? The KLX has proven to be pretty bomb proof and I've certainly heard of more issues with the higher reving 250s.

Keep the info coming, thanks

Jesse

dude, sorry no one else is actually helpful. i don't think it's necessary to buy a new bike if you hate your suspension. i agree, the suspension on the klx stock pretty much sucks. i revalved mine to suck less, but i still wouldn't jump it much. if you pay $400 or so to a decent suspension tuner, you can make the suspension on your bike (or any bike) pretty darn good. that's way cheaper than $6000 for a new bike, and the suspension will be dialed for your weight, ability, and riding style. ask around, here, or on planetklx.com for tuners that know about the klx.

-mark

I agree with Velo in your situation.

You already have a bike you're comfortable with and sounds like all you need is suspension.

Get it done and see what happens.

Much cheaper than a new bike.

I've had both an 02 WR and a 03 YZF and they are both fast and fun. BUT, I've ridden trails with guys on different types of bikes that smoke me.

I don't know the weight of the KLX compared to the WR either but I was wayyyyyyyy more happy with the weight of my YZF in the woods than I was with the WR and that was before battery and E=start (don't know how much it added to the weight). So, for me to ride comfortably in the woods now, I really need to get my suspension redone anyway.

The other thing you mention is the height. All of the bikes can be lowered but that costs money too.

So, I think based on the fact that you already like your current bike, get the suspension done.

Eddie

New springs, revalved shocks, fresh suspension priceless investment. If you feel the bike is got enough motor and it fits like a glove...$1000 on setup will be the way to go. A woods setup won't react like a motorcross set up. Although the bottoming out and overall travel will be greatly improved over stock. :thumbsup:

If your happy with the perfomance of the bike then why buy a new one!!. send the suspention out and have it dialed in for your ability and riding style!!, your gonna spend several hundred dollars but it's ALOT cheaper than a new bike that you'll need to dial in anyway???. :thumbsup: