Sign in to follow this  

Dzus fasteners, where to buy a longer one

After removing my seat to install the IMS tank, I can't for the life of me get the seat fastener back on. I have owned four other husky's and a Husaberg and none of them were this difficult. It only need to be about four or five millimeters longer.

Anyone know where to get one?

Greg

You shouldn't need a longer fastener. Check to make sure the radiator hose clamp on the left radiator is not hitting the tank and make sure the tank is seated on the two rubber mounting points attached to the frame. Also, check to make sure the rubber grommet that goes under the tank mount seat post is deep side down.

I'm not real happy with the fit of my IMS tank. It fits ok but they could have done a better job in my opinion.

I 'll double check all that tonight.

I have to say that when I first removed the dzus fastener, I had to put a screwdriver in it to twist it off. I think mine may be too tight. Also, at that part of the seat, tank fit probably isn't much of an issue. BTW, assuming my tank is seated properly and yours is as well, how hard is it to get your dzus fastened?

Greg

When mine was 'new', like you, I had to use a screwdriver to get the fastener off and on. After the first few times it seemed to get easier and I could do it by hand after a few weeks.

brown

Are you guys referring to the fastener that locks the seat to the frame at the rear part of the seat? If so, the one on my TE510 came without a retaining washer. The first time I went to remove the seat the fastener pulled out of the seat as I held onto it to remove the seat. I went to the dealer and got the plasting retaining washer. The problem I'm having now is the fasterner keeps coming loose when I ride the bike, it won't stay latched. So the rear part of the seat pops up a little and is loose. I've been tightening it by hand. Maybe I should use a screwdriver and get it more tight? Has anyone had this type of problem?

ktl...

I just did some research on the internet and the dzus type of fastener is also known as quarter turn fastener. I wouldn't crank it more than a quarter turn either by hand or with a scredriver.

I know these things loosen over time, but I don't think that is the problem with mine. I would like to try one with a longer stud. If I find a supplier, I'll let you know.

Greg

I have a friend with 5200 miles on a 02 WR250 and his is still holding and works as new.

Greg look at McMaster-Carr, I have a catalog and will look later.

Kelly

Youn can get Dzus fasteners from your local small airport parts dept. There is also a fastener called a "cam-lock", which I prefer better. You can get those there too.

:devil:

McMaster-Carr has always had anything and everything you could have ever imagined needing. They have a web catalogue worth checking out. :thumbsup:

A little lithium grease (on the bottom) makes it work easier. Anyway, I pulled on the D-ring to lift the seat off and pulled the plastic washer off (and lost it) showing someone the cool air box design on the trail. I now just use an 'O'-ring from a 520 'O'-ring chain and it holds it on fine and it is snug - of course I can not yank on the D-ring to remove the seat...

MSTex

Are you guys referring to the fastener that locks the seat to the frame at the rear part of the seat? If so, the one on my TE510 came without a retaining washer. The first time I went to remove the seat the fastener pulled out of the seat as I held onto it to remove the seat. I went to the dealer and got the plasting retaining washer. The problem I'm having now is the fasterner keeps coming loose when I ride the bike, it won't stay latched. So the rear part of the seat pops up a little and is loose. I've been tightening it by hand. Maybe I should use a screwdriver and get it more tight? Has anyone had this type of problem?

ktl...

I solved my problem of the seat fastener coming loose by tightening it with a screw driver. Another 1/8 to 1/4 turn beyound hand tight and it latches solidly. It held tight and did not come loose on my last ride. The hand ring folds down and is pointing toward the left side of the bike as you look at it from the rear of the bike. It looks like the fastener should lock in such a way that the ring should fold down and point to the rear fender where there is a flat spot in the seat to accomodate it. Seems like the fastener locks in a position that is 90 degrees off. Oh well, it is holding and I'm happy with that. Has anyone ran into this on their bike?

ktl...

In stock condition the ring will flop to the side not the back.

I was having a similar problem with the fastener not being long enough and took a punch from the bottom side of the sub frame and bent the two little tangs the fastner hooks to up and it works normal now.