Sign in to follow this  

SEATING NEW RINGS?

I am putting together my new 262cc kit. I have heard that I need to "seat" the rings? I have also heard that I should not use synthetic oil when doing this. I was using Amsoil sythetic prior to the new top end. How do you seat the rings, and can I, or do I have to switch back to dinasour oil after using synthetic? :thumbsup:

make darn sure NONE of that amsoil is anywhere near the cylinder bore, piston and rings. or it will NEVER seat. voice of experience talking here. 1 teaspoon of amsoil was all it took to fubar my rings.

normal breaking and several rides with dino oil and then you can go back to synthetic.

shell rotella 15-40 is your break in friend. It has all the cushion the bike needs.

two ways to seat the rings.

Pin it in 3rd a biunch of times over a tank of gas without letting it rev to the moon. You are going for a heavy load not the revs.

or by dragging the brakes and running the bike so its really fighting them trying to go fast but cant.

I pin it, cause I like it. :thumbsup:

Thats the top side of the ring.

The bottom side is done by going fast and decelerating via the the tranny. just keep kicking it down to slow it down.

It has to be done in the first tank or two of gas or it will never happen.

I like his thinking and will eventually reshape the intake on one of the 250's to test his idea.

But he wasnt the first to think up seating rings under power. I have heard that since I was a kid, and it goes further back to my dad growing up. Heck it has to be a good way, even the owners manual for my dodge ram says to do it. :cry:

But I do like the guys thinking.