Sign in to follow this  

Chunks out of the tranny side of engine Help ???????

Just changed my tranny fluid and got metal shavings and chunks as big as 1/4". the chunks look like they had copper on them. what do you think about this is it the clutch or somthing bigger???

Thanx :thumbsup:

my guess is it's teeth from the tranny,not good either way.you might see if the parts are magnetic,or aluminum.

Just changed my tranny fluid and got metal shavings and chunks as big as 1/4". the chunks look like they had copper on them. what do you think about this is it the clutch or somthing bigger???

Thanx :thumbsup:

You could start at the clutch for sure. Most of the bearings in the trans are rollers. The copper colored stuff is usually from a plain bearing. Most of the time the plain bearings in the trans are in the clutch basket adapter.

Id take the clutch off. The whole clutch. The basket, the hub, the whole shibang. If you dont find your problem,its time to split the cases.

Edit:

After thinking about it...the gears have plain bearings in them too...bad news... :devil:

I had the same problem and recently the flakes turned gold in color so I pulled the clutch apart and found that two of the plates had broken. So i am hoping that all the pieces were from the clutch.

Otherwise they came from some other place and got caught between my clutch plates some how and broke them....dang, why did I say that

Im sure its just the dang clutch.