Sign in to follow this  

Standing up Techniques

Hey,

I’m trying my hardest to make my self stand up most of the time, and stick my elbows out.

But what’s the go when under hard acceleration, I feel like my arms are going to tear off when standing,

is this normal, maybe I just need to strengthen my arms allot.

I find it easier to sit, but im getting bounced of the seat... :thumbsup:

:devil:

Squat your legs and squeeze the seat. Always grip with your legs whether sitting or standing. Your arms are there to make your hands work ......and also to pull up on the bars. Hanging on is done with your legs.

Shift brake turn slide all standing. Even if you hover or lightly sit on the seat, have your legs supporting you NOT your butt and back.

I only sit using my butt when I need to to make the bike do something...like turn sharp(sit on gas tank), Dig in quick on a climb (sit on rear fender)and a handfull of other situations.

It also eliminates monkey but on long rides :thumbsup:

You will ride 200% better if you can do this :devil:

Why are you standing most of the time ?

Only stand when the bike tells you to. Let the first bump push you up. Head forward over the bars Help support yourself to some degree with your arms.

Cher'o,

Dwight

I’ve been watching this DVD about trail riding;

they say it’s the best position to be in unless it’s a wide open fire trail with no bumps.

And while riding im checking out the faster guys and they barely sit down. I have tried locking my knees in but I can’t seem to find the best position to lock them in at.

Never lock your knees. You could do yourself damage.

Gary Baily of the MX SCHOOL Fame fussed at me about standing too much and MX riders stand far more than Woods Racers.

Watch Scott Summers or a lot of other top Enduro riders . They only stand when they have to. I only stand if the terrain dictates it. You don't get as tired sitting.

Cher'o,

Dwight

Sometimes I get confused.

We have a 7 time ISDE rider, 8 time enduro champ telling you what you should and shouldn't do in order to ride fast, and people are debating with him.

If the man says you don't need to stand as much, take his word for it. When you ride an ISDE or even a qualifier, and

people want you to mediate an forum on off-road riding, then maybe you can debate with him, until then listen to someone who has been there.

As far as I know, of all the people on these forums, HE is qualifed to give advice. Who knows what these other guys can do on a motorcycle.

OK, I'm done now.

they say it’s the best position to be in unless it’s a wide open fire trail with no bumps.

And while riding im checking out the faster guys and they barely sit down.

Remember, when they film riders for movies the riders are wanting to show off some and thus they stand. Ride with them in the woods. They sit more than stand.

I am not stating that you should sit all the time but only stand when the bike pushes you into standing position or the trail is extremely rough ahead dictating that you stand for control. I sit probably 80-90% of the time. I use a lot of upper body english for control.

Cher'o,

Dwight

I'm no expert so I won't/can't say what is best, but I will say that from what I've read about Rodney Smith, he agrees with Dwight as well. In the recent Dirt Rider article about GNCC factory bikes, Rodney describes himself as a sit down rider and that's how he sets up his bike. It seems to work for him as well as Dwight (i.e. multiple Nat. titles).

And while riding im checking out the faster guys and they barely sit down.

Remember, when they film riders for movies the riders are wanting to show off some and thus they stand. Ride with them in the woods. They sit more than stand.

I am not stating that you should sit all the time but only stand when the bike pushes you into standing position or the trail is extremely rough ahead dictating that you stand for control. I sit probably 80-90% of the time. I use a lot of upper body english for control.

Cher'o,

Dwight

Thanks Dwight. That is extremely helpful. I am not that good, but felt the need to stand alot and it did not feel that safe on higher speed turns or certain uphills. I sit or hoover just off the seat probably 60-75% of the time and it is good to know that I am not re-inforcing a bad habit. I feel like I feel the bike better sitting down. I stand in rough sections and in whoops or dips. Plus, if you ride for 4 hours my legs are not strong enough to stand that long thus, I try to conserve leg strenght until I really need it. I am a beginner but this is what works for me.

Thanks Dwight,

I hope I haven't stepped on any ones feet by aksing questions (MathProf). And I appreciate the advice given.

:thumbsup:

I've been riding and racing for 37 years and if the terrain is rough I prefer to ride standing!!, not only do you gain the extra suspention travel of your legs and arms but you gain a mechanical advantage, I.E. more leverage on the bike, it also allows you to move the bike around alot more and keep your wieght centered!!. Alot of people are'nt comfortable riding while standing but practice,practice,practice!!, will allow you to feel comfortable riding any terrain while accelerating,shifting,braking,turning,ect.. Learn how to ride standing and your ability to ride rough terrain will be greatly inproved!!!. It may take some time but it's worth the effort in my opinion. :thumbsup:

I've been riding and racing for 37 years and if the terrain is rough I prefer to ride standing!!, not only do you gain the extra suspention travel of your legs and arms but you gain a mechanical advantage, I.E. more leverage on the bike, it also allows you to move the bike around alot more and keep your wieght centered!!. Alot of people are'nt comfortable riding while standing but practice,practice,practice!!, will allow you to feel comfortable riding any terrain while accelerating,shifting,braking,turning,ect.. Learn how to ride standing and your ability to ride rough terrain will be greatly inproved!!!. It may take some time but it's worth the effort in my opinion. :thumbsup:

I know you ride alot and I respect your opinion but don't your legs get tired? On straight smooth streatches I try to lock my legs to rest or sit, but if I am using my legs as shock absorbers all the time or most all the time, then it is like doing non-stop squat lifts. My legs turn to noodles and then I don't have them for when I really need it, in the rought stuff or whoops, which I might add I don't like.

Couple questions.

What percentage of time do you stand?

When, i.e. what terain, do you sit when you ride?

Do you stand or sit in sand/deep gravel?

Thanks for everyones advice.

Listen to Dwight:

Sit when you can--saves energy.

Stand when you need to--it's safer and easier to control the bike.

Grip with your legs and knees at all times, unless it is natural not to.

Use bumps to get off the seat into standing position.

Use braking to get into seated position.

Don't stand where there are low limbs! Insead, crouch very llow getting your butt way back allowing you to drop your head below your bars above your tank. Don't forget about your hydro or back pack!

Let the bike tell you when you should stand. Your mind has to know what the bike will do if you don't stand up, i.e., "If I don't stand up over these whoops I will do a flying W and crash."

Standing lowers the center of gravity on the bike and makes it easier to manuver the bike in rough technical stuff, except where ruts are so deep they will tear your feet off the pegs. Then dab when you need to but stand when you can.

The only time I stand when I don't have to is get the full benefit of Moose Sahara jersey and pants--I stand straight up on the ORV trail or fire road, cruise about 25-30mph relaxing and enjoying the air conditioning effect!

All of the above are things I have learned over the years to make my rides more enjoyable, safer and last longer. BUT--your smilelage may vary!

I'm no expert so I won't/can't say what is best, but I will say that from what I've read about Rodney Smith, he agrees with Dwight as well. In the recent Dirt Rider article about GNCC factory bikes, Rodney describes himself as a sit down rider and that's how he sets up his bike. It seems to work for him as well as Dwight (i.e. multiple Nat. titles).

i think you need to be comfortable doing both. after reading the article about rodney, and following some very fast guys who sit down alot in the woods, i've started trying to sit down more to conserve energy. some people sit too much. they should practice standing. some people stand all the time. they should practice sitting. find a reasonable balance and be able to choose the right technique for the terrain and how you're feeling.

fer sure it's different in a 6 hr enduro than in a 90 minute gp, but there are many very very very fast riders who stand up alot more than rodney and go just about as fast, so there's definitely some individual preference.

mw

Maybe I missed something??. I'm 45 years old and if I can sit on my worn out butt I will!!, but I have better bike control while standing!! :thumbsup:

Hey,

I’m trying my hardest to make my self stand up most of the time, and stick my elbows out.

But what’s the go when under hard acceleration, I feel like my arms are going to tear off when standing,

is this normal, maybe I just need to strengthen my arms allot.

I find it easier to sit, but im getting bounced of the seat... :thumbsup:

:devil:

If your on the gas get forward head over the bars elbows bent. The bent elbows with less than 90 degrees forarm to upper arm angle give your biceps a mechanical advantage once you go beyond 90 degrees your at a distinct mechanical disadvantage. For the same reason your arms should be straightened well beyond 90 degrees when braking. There are heaps of other reasons for forward when accellerating and back for braking, but this may help with your percieved lack of arm strength.

I saw an article somewere that said you should use the terrian to tell you when to stand and use it and/or your suspension to move to the standing position to save engergy.

I've been trying to do this more and I find that I can save a lot of energy. I'm mostly a sit down rider as well, and try to stand were it makes the trail easier. :thumbsup:

Good luck,

For me, smooth terrain=sit, rough=stand. I start of every ride standing because I have more fun standing, but I can't do it all day, too tiring after a while. Oh, also I try to do all my hillclimbs standing too, I have more control standing on hills than sitting.