Sign in to follow this  

time for service, need help

I have a 2001 XR80 that needs front fork service. To cheap to buy a manual so I thought I would ask and see if anyone can help me on this one? What special tools will I need when replaceing the fluid or do I just measure it out with a ratio rite? How much fluid should be put back in the fork?

Also, I have never done this before so what do I need to do?

Should I replace the seals or just clean and re-install?

Are there other parts inside that may need cleaning/replacing? This is for my 10 year old son who weighs around 80 pounds for woods and some track riding. What weight fluid should I go back with?

All help appreciated!!

signed,

Shade tree Mechanic

I have a 2001 XR80 that needs front fork service. To cheap to buy a manual so I thought I would ask and see if anyone can help me on this one?

Yo, shade tree... &%$#@! dude? I'd help, but who really wants to help someone who's too cheap to buy a manual for their own bike? Get with the program. Ya want to work on your bike, spend the $45-50 on the FM. It's your bike, you figure it out. You can't figure it out after studying the manual, then go ahead and ask?

Sheesh....

:thumbsup:

dude, where's the peace?

If there is someone else who cares to help a brother out?

Not asking for a liver here....Geeze!

Thought this was what Thumper Talk was all about?

sorry man.. nothing personal..

I just don't understand why anyone who doesn't want to help themselves first asks others for help when they can look at their manual first.. then if you don't get it, ask.. we're all here to help and get help when "needed"..

buy the Factory Manual. It's your motorcycle bible.

It's one thing if you've done it on other bikes and just need quick info, but if you've never done it would take 2 or 3 pages with pictures to explain it right. A clymer manuel is only about $25. I'm sure there's a web-site out there with a "how to" on fluid change. Try a search.

ok..ok..can someone just dip into their book and tell me how many cc's of fluid I need to pour back into the fork?

I will measure how much comes out but may have some error there so would be nice to know I am filling the right amount. Also, what weight would you reccomend?

This is for a 80 pound rider.

No never done it before but I am pretty sure I can handle it if I know how much fluid to replace.