Sign in to follow this  

Dirty Piston?

I'm putting in a 284 kit in my 03'XR250 and when I pulled the old piston out I was surprised to see how dirty it looked. I've only ridden the bike for a year and I use good fuel.Anyone have an idea on why it looks like this?Thanks for input.Ryan piston

I'm putting the kit in for more power. As far as my riding habits go, I like to ride pretty hard. The plug looks fine. No indication of runnig rich or lean. If it looks normal to you then I won't worry. Thanks.Ryan

My 98 XR piston was clean except for some buildup right on the top of it, kinda shaped like Texas. I think it was from oil burning, but the sides didnt have anything on it?

Oh well :thumbsup:

I've kinda wondered about flushing the cylinder out with some of the "carbon cutter" they use periodically on outboard motors. Mercury Marine and OMC both make a spray can with a tube attachment that goes on a fuel line fitting on the engine. Sort of looks like a can of "Flat repair". The stuff is supposed to disolve the carbon residue in the cylinders. You flood the warm/running engine with it untill it dies, let it set a few minutes, then crank it back up. I thought maybe pull the plug on the XR, find bottom dead center, squirt it in through the plug hole, let it set, then kick it with the plug outand follow flush with WD40. I know carbon buildup on the piston and in the combustion chamber can cause hot spots that can damage things. Whatcha think?? :thumbsup:

There are several carbon cleaning fuel additives available. Using them on a regular basis works better than waiting a year and giving a big dose. I used a "theraputic dose" and a chunk of carbon broke free from the piston and prevented a valve from closing. I've been told by the experts that it is not uncommon. The thing cleared itself after a lot of kinking.

RH