Sign in to follow this  

New CRF owner has questions

I've just purchased a 2004 CRF450 and have a couple of questions. I think I remember reading here that the CRF's are kinda noisy at idle (mine is), is this normal? Sounds fine as soon as it's off idle. Previous owner was a friend of mine and said the valves were recently checked and all was OK. Also, what are you guys doing to get rid of that hidious chain slap noise? I was thinking of pulling up the chain gaurd and running a bead of silicone under it. I did this on my 426 with good results. Any other tips are welcome. Thanks, DVN

As far as noise @ idle: I don't idle much so can't help.

For chain slap, I tighten the chain w/ about 3/4" slack and maintain it.

There is a lot of noise junk iron going up and down and round and round,I run my chain with about 3/4 to an inch of slack otherwise the chain does make a lot of noise,my 02 ate up sliders so bad I went to the TM designs chain guide,the 03 and 04 were not as bad on guides as the 02,keep the spokes tight,change the oil and tranny often and the puppy will give you years of fun and good service.

You shoulda waited for the 05 :thumbsup:

You should've bought an ASV replacement clutch lever instead of the "black replacement clutch lever" in your signature. :devil:

Nothing you really need to know, other than keep a close eye on the valve clearance, DEFINITELY check the spokes often (mine came loose after 20 hours :thumbsup:), and keep fresh oil in it.

My bike benefited from a revalve on the rear shock, but the forks are great with the factory valving. I dinked around with different spring rates for the front (1.61 inner chamber, 0.49 fork springs) but ended up liking the stock setup the best. (185 lb novice MX'er)

Also - Since oil changes are important... Dont over tighten the drain plug bolts.. I cant remember if the 04 CRF manual that comes with the bike has corrected the torque specs (your buddy gave you that too right?)... but dont over tighten them or you wont be very happy!

Clean air filter often (its a pain, but do it!).

If you trail ride bump the back sproket up a few teeth or 4 and putting on a heavy flywheel are popular options...

page 58, I think has the torque for both drain bolts.use a torque wrench its worth it.read my setup below for trail rideing....I dont need to buy a 450x I had my TT buddys help me ! thanks TT

page 58, I think has the torque for both drain bolts.use a torque wrench its worth it.read my setup below for trail rideing....I dont need to buy a 450x I had my TT buddys help me ! thanks TT

Only torque them to 8ft/lbs and you can't go wrong. You'll never even have to replace the crush washer.