Sign in to follow this  

Old Xl running horrible, Help!

Weel i bought a 78 XL 175 and fixed it up a little bit and sold it to a kid. It ran perfect all day, he test drove it and he said it ran fine,so i took it to his house in my truck, now it runs horrible. It will idle fine but when you try to rev it it sputters like mad. I cleaned the carb and changed the gas, thinking it may have been dirty gas, and checked out the plug and cleaned it. But it still runs like crap and I already sold it to him. Any help would be great

I have a 1976 XL 175 that did the same thing after I brought it out of storage. I changed the gas, cleaned out the carb using compressed air and put an in-line fuel filter in. I have not had a problem since.

Justin

I changed the gas and the fuel line is good, so tomorrow i'm going to tear down the carb because i think there might be a bent needle or clogged jet or something. I rode it around and it ran fine, then pulled in the garage and it was dumping gas out of the bottom of the carb. Any ideas?

Shake the float once you get it out or see if it will float. It may have a hole in it. As far as the fuel filter, I had to clean the carburator a few times due to debris geting into the float bowl. With the filter, I have not had to clean it once. It is well worth the $2. Check the float level as well.