Sign in to follow this  

Helmet cam mic position?

I got a helmet cam last week from Viosport, since I live 2 miles from them. It has a built in microphone in the cable and I have it positioned on my back on the middle of my camelback. From 3rd gear up I either get wind noise or the sound cuts in and out. I thought this would be the most protected place for the mic but maybe I'm wrong. Maybe I should put it inside the pouch, it should still pick up the exhaust right.

I also experimented with camera location and right now I have it on the shoulder of my chest protector. This is a really cool spot because I can see the bars and fender and still see up the trail. Just did a little loop by my house, can't wait to get on some real trail this week.

Danceswithtrees,

I'm no expert, but I think that wraping the mic with open cell foam may help reduce the wind noise.

I'm hoping to get a DVD camera and helmet cam soon, so this is very interesting. :thumbsup:

Eric

Try taking some fairly thick cloth and zip typing it around the portion of the wire the mic's embedded in. The microphones everyone uses are real sensitive, it will still pick up exhaust noises. :thumbsup:

I have a helmetcamera.com Cam and agree'd the mic picks up everything and it is a little abnoxsios (SP). I have only used it 3 times but at the end started putting the mic in the camelback and that seemed to help but it still is too loud on playback. The heavy cloth coupled with putting it in the camelback sounds like the ticket.

I just got a used Helmetcam.com unit.

The previous owner had a neat set up.

He packed the mic in foam (closed cell) and used a plasic mount used for holding electrical conduit to the wall.

This mount then goes on the back of the helmet pointing down. This cuts wind noise, you can still hear your buddy (and can hear me talking to myself in the helmet) it is a little loud on the pipe angle but not too obnoxious..

Just a thought.

I also have the camera mounted under my visor. Super HD velcro. It works great, I do have the visor tilted as far back as possible as well. Only bad thing is I don't look far enough ahead so I need to either work on my form (good idea) or fiddle with the mount a bit to get a better angle.

THis position works well, I just wish there was a quick disconnect at the back of the helmet when taking off my lid.

Rod

Been doing this for a while. Try putting the mic inside your helmet in one of the ear canals. (underneath the padding.) This allows you great sound of the bike that is not over powering and you can still record great conversations with your friends.

As far as mounting locations for the camera itself try mounting to the left side of the helmet. Your head is a much better shock absorber then your shoulders. Left side so if you have to wipe the lens clean, you can do so without letting go of the throttle.

Oh and make sure you point the camera up a bit (approx 25 degrees or so) otherwise you will get a bunch of great footage of your front fender. Aim it just below your visor.

Good luck. :thumbsup:

Ace