Sign in to follow this  

2001 DRZ400E ELECTRIC START PROBLEM!

THE BIKE WOULD NOT CRANK. I TRIED TO CHARGE THE BATTERY, BUT THE BATTERY WON'T SEEM TO TAKE A CHARGE. I USED THE 60AMP ENGINE START FEATURE ON MY BATTERY CHARGER TO GET THE BIKE TO TURN OVER AND START (STARTED WITH CHOKE OPEN). I RODE IT AROUND THE BLOCK (THANKS TO THE DUAL SPORT KIT) AND THEN IT STALLED. OF COURSE WHEN I TRIED TO START THE BIKE WITH THE ELECTRIC START, NOTHING AT ALL HAPPENED.

AFTER PUSHING IT HOME, I TRIED TO RESTART THE BIKE THE WAY I DID BEFORE (THE 60AMP JUMP). I HOLD THE CLUTCH LEVER IN AND PRESS THE START BUTTON. THE BIKE WILL CRANK (SLUGGISHLY)AND THEN FIRE UP, BUT WHEN I LET GO OF THE CLUTCH OR TAKE MY FINGER OFF THE START BUTTON, THE BIKE SHUTS OFF!

THE OTHER STRANGE THING IS THAT WHEN I PUT 10AMPS ON THE BATTERY, THE HEADLIGHT WON'T LIGHT UP, NO MATTER HOW LONG THE BIKE IS ON THE CHARGER. ALMOST SEEMS LIKE THE CHARGER IS DETECTING SOMETHING WRONG AND IS NOT FLOWING ANY CURRENT TO THE BATTERY.

ANYONE HAVE ANY EXPERIENCE WITH THIS PROBLEM?

THANKS IN ADVANCE,

OFFROADED

I dunno, but can you not talk in capitol letters? its like SHOUTING on the internet..

Just hit that caps lock key before you start typing :thumbsup:

Do you have a digital multimeter? Volts, Ohms, Amps. Do you have any experience using it? Your problem is going to take some basic electricity understanding and troubleshooting skills using the meter.

A good fully charged battery is the first step. Start by removing the battery from the bike. Charge the battery. Charge at 1 to 6 amps. Charge to a terminal voltage of 15 to 16 volts. Disconnect the charger and wait 1 hr. Check the voltage. Is it still above 12.6 volts? If not charge again. If after several tries the battery will not stay above 12.6 volts, replace the battery. A good new battery will stay above 13 volts. When you have a good working battery, start the bike and measure voltage at the battery. It should be at least 13.5 volts with the motor running. 14 to 14.5 is preferable. If the voltage is low, more in-depth checks will be necessary. Report your findings and we will go from there.

OK, what i have done is remove the battery and checked it with the volt meter. this original battery is dead as a door nail for starters! it reads just 0.273volts! when i put the charger on it, it makes no apparent difference on the volt meter...so it seems to not even be capable of accepting a charge. but i have it on a 2amp charge over night.

i dont know if this is related to the bike only running with the clutch lever and starter button depressed. but i will replace the battery immediately.

what do you make of this so far?

remember, the bike has a baja designs dual sport kit on it and has worked flawlessly up until now!

thanks for your return input!

ed

Good start (pun intended). Not much more to do until you get a good battery. The clutch interlock completes the circuit from the start button to the starter solenoid. The start button applies current to the starter solenoid. Releasing either the clutch or the button is the same thing. But neither should have any affect on the engine continuing to run after it has started. That is a mystery so far.

Lets hope no damage was done by the 60 amp booster. With the battery as dead as it is, it was not doing much to stabilize the electrical system. The booster likely puts out way over 12 volts and with essentially no battery to draw it down, overvoltage damage is possible. Would be interesting to put the voltmeter on the booster and see what the open circuit voltage is.

Whatever, next step is to try it with a good battery and see how it goes.

Are you sure your battery charger is working??

I'LL SAY ITS A MYSTERY. THE BATTERY CHARGER WORKS ON OTHER BATTERIES. THE OPEN 60 AMP READING IS VERY LOW WHEN HOOKED UP TO A VOLT METER DIRECTLY.

WILL LET YOU KNOW WHEN THE BATTERY ARRIVES. I ORDERED ONLINE!

THANKS,

ED