Sign in to follow this  

XT200 Need Parts, and advice..Please

Hi all, Great forum. Maybe someone can help me. I have just become the not-so-proud owner of a 82XT200. This bike was sitting for several years and needed alot of carb cleaning to get running. It did start easy until I broke the kickstarter. ANYONE have one the want to sell?

My other question is the oter day i was riding when the bike would bog down about half throttle or so. It would continue to run if I eased the throttle up. Then later the bike would just die . I was able to restart it easy but after running about 5 minutes it would die again, and again, and again. I finally had to push it about a mile home. I checked for spark and there was none. I have since replaced the ignition coil and tried to bump start it, with no luck.

Do you know which coil might be at fault now?

Thanks in advance for anyones help.

Hi, inkslinger bought a xt200 awile back,the price was rite.

Had a lot of prob. with the carb but finally got it going good.But recently my son broke the kick starter also.

Havent found one yet,Trying to leave that up to my son,Did do a search here on TT like you have,no luck though.

If ya figure out where let me know??

On the carb let it soak a long time in carb. clean and blow all passages real good,it took a few times to get this one going :thumbsup:

He is right, the carb is very finicky and requires meticulous cleaning. Both my XT200 and my XT350 were also prone to getting condensation in the float bowl and absolutely would not start until you drained the bowl. You need to check the wiring all the way to the stator and battery. The battery is in a bad location on that bike and the wiring subject to damage. I actually tore the whole battery off mine a couple of times before I ditched it altogether. And if the chain was ever derailed it may have broken the stator cover and let everything in there rust.

If you want to get crazy, back in this bike's day the hot mod was to bore it for a Yamaha XS400 piston and then shim the barrel up enough with a couple of extra base gaskets to get the compression back down to where you didn't have to run avgas. Don't laugh, it is true because mine is like that plus has a Supertrapp, huge jets and the needle shimmed way up. Back when it was running, you had to add lead substitute and octane booster to keep it from detonating. After all that it was as peaky as 1960's two cycle, revved to the moon and was a whole lot more fun to ride that way.

Ok, Thanks for the advice. But I have cleaned the carb several times with carb cleaner and compressed air. Probably more like 6-7 times. Maybe I should soak it over night in cleaner. There was a o-ring between the main jet and the nozzle, it fell apart and I never put a new one in, is that a problem?

My battery is removed from this bike, but it still seemed to run, except for the high end thing, could it be because of no battery?

Sorry I won't do all the mods you described, I have a hard enough time with it already. It sounds like it might be fun though.

Thank in advance for any advice.

Oh one more thing....

I did get it bump started the other day but it ran for about 5 min at a little more than Idle and just died. I did have spark so I am assuming it is the carb.

My question is does anyone know where the timing marks should be on this bike. Mine are set so that when you look through the peep hole by the flywheel the arrow points to the line with a (T) next to it, while the mark on the sproket that attaches to the cam, points at the raised mark.

Does this seem right?

I have not looked in that carb since 1986. But, if the o-ring was on the outside of the main jet where it goes down into the float bowl, then you absolutely need it. I believe that the pilot jet pulls from the float chamber, but the main jet atomizes fuel from the sump in the bottom of the float bowl. That is why condensation down there makes them nearly impossible to get running. And why mine would sometimes idle but not run with water down there. So, if the o-ring is as I described, then without it the main jet will have a vacuum leak and will not pull the right amount of fuel up past the needle.

And, just to cover all the bases, have you removed the drain plug in the float bowl and cleaned that area? That is where condensation forms and causes problems with rust and sediment. Also, the floats get bent very easily removing the float bowl. Make sure one doesn't look bent down further than the other. That will cause the same problem you describe.

BTW, I wasn't recommending those mods just mentioning them in passing. I rode mine almost entirely off-road in deep sand and mud so it was a riot with the big two cycle hit at the top of revs. But it was a handful on street like that. Cops don't much care for revved out bikes carrying the front wheel across intersections. I might have to wander out to the shed and see what is left of that old thing now that you have me thinking about it.

Hey excellent.

While you are walking out to the shed if you decide you are willing to give up the kickstart lever, I might know who would but it. Just kidding.

I will remember about the mods though. I sort of like the idea but I am having trouble keeping it going the way it is.

Thanks again