Sign in to follow this  

Wrong rear spring on the 05 525 EXC?

I've been doing some reading in the owners manual reguarding the rear suspension. In the book, it specifically states that the bike comes with an 88/250 spring which accomidates riders which are roughly 170+ pounds. There is another spring that you can get (84/250) which accomidates riders which are roughly 140-170. My bike (05 525 EXC) came with a spring which says 80/250, which is supposed to accomidate riders that are below 140 pounds...I'm a bigger guy, so I need the spring that was supposed to come with the 525. Why did KTM put a spring on that wasn't even supposed to be on it? What can I do about this? :devil::thumbsup:

KTM's is famous for being a little behind with their manuals. The 04's did come with the 88's so that must be where that was from. From what I've read, they stiffened the valving and other PDS internals and softened up the springs.

So how do we know how to setup the spring for our size? :thumbsup::devil:

From what I hear, set sag at 110 to 115mm leaning to the 110mm

Static sag should be 40mm to 45mm leaning to 40mm.

I haven't set mine up yet as I am still waiting but this seems right. I bet most will end up with a 8.8kg spring to a 9.2kg spring. For sure 8.0kg is way too soft for the average rider of 170 lbs.

Cher'o,

Dwight