Sign in to follow this  

DRZ-400E blowing fuses

My DRZ-400E keeps blowing fuses. I found one other post that suggest checking around the steering colum for a pinched wire near the steering stop.

Are there other common electrical areas that I should check?

Is this a common problem for 400E owners?

The previous owner did some rewiring to street legalize the bike, and he did a pretty poor job. Would rewiring the lights to run directly off the battery cause the fuse to blow?

Would a blown fuse cause the engine to run rough? Is there any sort of electronic control on the carburator or anything that would cause it run poorly without electricity?

Thanks for your help!

My DRZ-400E keeps blowing fuses. I found one other post that suggest checking around the steering for a pinched wire near the steering stop.---- Yes. Any wire to or from the key switch will potentially blow the fuse.

Are there other common electrical areas that I should check?--- Yes look at all of the connectors and the fuse holder for signs of overheating.

Is this a common problem for 400E owners?--- No. Blown fuses are not a common problem.

The previous owner did some rewiring to street legalize the bike, and he did a pretty poor job.--- Yes. Well there is your answer. Any poor rewire should be corrected or you will constantly have problems.

Would rewiring the lights to run directly off the battery cause the fuse to blow?--- No, not if it bypasses the original fuse. Is that how it is now? Or is this what you are proposing?

Would a blown fuse cause the engine to run rough?--- Yes, maybe. The motor will run directly off the alternator output but the battery stabilizes the voltage.

Is there any sort of electronic control on the carburetor or anything that would cause it run poorly without electricity?---- 2 questions at once. Hmmm. Yes and Yes. Yes there is electronic control on the carb. Throttle position sensor that feeds input to the ignition control box. Does not seem to have any major affect on running. Poor running with out electricity, obviously yes. Electricity is need to run the ignition.

You need to find the fuse problem, fix it, then work on the poor running issue. May or may not be related.

The previous owner did some rewiring to street legalize the bike. I don't know everything that he did, but he wired the headlight and taillight to run directly off the battery so the engine would not have to be running for them to light. He also split the taillight into a taillight and brake light. I am not sure what else was done.

I will try to get a manual with an electrical diagram and then try to put everything back to stock condition. I will inspect the entire wiring harness and look for potential shorts that would blow the fuse.

And then I will see how it runs, and if necessary, pursue carburator alterations.

Thanks for any tips or advice!

Check the whole harness for loose connections or any wire chewed through and grounding.

The headlight and tail light should come on when you turn the key on in stock form.

Suzuki uses a pretty light guage wire throughout this bike, and it is fused appropiately. The good news is that there is not that many wires to check.

Check the whole harness for loose connections or any wire chewed through and grounding.

The headlight and tail light should come on when you turn the key on in stock form.

Suzuki uses a pretty light guage wire throughout this bike, and it is fused appropiately. The good news is that there is not that many wires to check.

I found it!

The headlight wiring harness was pinched by the steering stop - just like someone on TT suggested. The + wire was pinched, and would short to ground whenever the bars were turned left. The ground wire was cut in half. I would have noticed the headlight out except the previous owner mounted an on/off switch so we would run the battery down if he forgot to turn off the key.

I also cleaned up a few other questionable connections.

Thanks for all the great advice!