Sign in to follow this  

Can you put a rev limiter on a XR250R?

I'm building a back up / buddy bike. I've got a new fresh engine, and I'd like to keep it that way. If I am using it for a buddy bike, I don't want them to overrev it and toast the motor. Any way to set a rev limiter to cut spark at redline? And, does anyone know what redline is on the XR250 (mine is a 1988, actually now a 300 with the fresh machining by thumper).

Mike

I think it has a rev limiter... I also think its 9800 rpm, but I'm not totally sure.

it has a built in rev limiter, but the power is definitely at the bottom of the power band, so they should just stay out of the top.

but as for not wanting to rev too high, i think you will be ok due to the built in limiter

it has a built in rev limiter, but the power is definitely at the bottom of the power band, so they should just stay out of the top.

but as for not wanting to rev too high, i think you will be ok due to the built in limiter

I'm no mechanical whiz, but I am pretty sure that ALL bikes have a rev limiter of some sort. My xr250 is a great bike, but I do find that it has to be ridden wide open much of the time.

Two strokes dont.

Beware, as you can go over the rev limiter while going down hill, with the throttle off. Dont!

XR's arent meant to rev much anyway.