Sign in to follow this  

Communication devices for trail riding.....

I am looking at the Chatterbox X1 but after doing a search I am thinking about trying to find a headset and use a set of Cobra GMRS radios that I already have. First, whats the general consensus on the Chatterbox while trail riding with a loud 4 stroke. Second, what headsets are available that work well with the regular radios. Any opinions appreciated, thanks.

I don't know about using the GMRS radios but I have been using the Collett Communicator Model 900 for almost 3 years now and love them. They mount to the helmet, have speakers that mount inside the helmet, a VOX mic you mount inside the helmet, and a battery pack you stick inside your backpack/fanny pack. A cool package that has worked well for me. Check them out at www.collett.mb.ca :thumbsup:

2 friends and I purchased GMRS Chatterbox's last month for street use. So far they are pretty good on the street. I was able to plug my mp3 player into it. It will mute the music when someone talks. On the street the VOX feature sucks. I would imagine it would be worse on a dirt bike. It does come with a remote mounted push to talk button. I pulled the wires from my lap timer and patched them into the push to talk line. If I ever use it on my dirt bike I will rewire a 2nd engine kill switch to run the push to talk. It just looks alot cleaner than the velcro mounted switch they include.

You can either mount the chatterbox to your helmet or somewhere else on the bike and use a coiled ext. cord. I mounted mine to my bike with a RAM mount. The helmet mount pushed my foam in to far and it just wasnt comfortable.

The include speakers and mic are decent. I buried mine in the pads. Except for the pigtail hanging from the back you wouldnt even know they were there.