Sign in to follow this  

'01 vs '03 cornering

I own an '01 wr250f, on the weekend I rode an '03 WR250f and YZ250f. The biggest difference I noticed was the cornering ability of the newer bikes was a lot better than mine. I was wondering what changes were made between the two models to improve turning, can a set of aftermarket triple clamps help or is the frame geometry changed?

I have an aussie model '01 WR which has the YZF seat and tank, the '03 is slightly different but I think theres more to it than that.

The biggest difference is in the Ergos on the bike. The 03s are much flatter thus you can get your weight farther forward on the bike.

On the 98-02s, you have to basically sit on the gas cap.

Other than that, there was a different linkage installed in 02 with a 5mm longer shock to go with it.

You can swap out to the 03 stuff with some fabrication - tank, shrouds, side panels, rear fender, subframe and airbox.

Also try raising the forks 5mm in the clamps and setting the rear preload to your weight. That helps a TON if you have not done this yet. Also for the 98-01 bikes, Ty Davis makes a linkage to emulate the 02 and later linkage for the eariler bikes. It does work, I have one and am very satisfied with it.