Sign in to follow this  

My engine made some vary loud noise last ride, so I split the cases

I was riding my bike last friday and about two hours into the ride my engine starts making a very loud noise, It sounded like it was going to blow up thats how bad it was. So when I got home I took my top end apart to see what was wrong. Both the piston and cylinder were all in perfect shape same with the cam and rocker arm. I also checked my valve clearance and it to was perfect, so thats when I decided I needed to split the cases. I then took the motor out of the bike and split the cases. It looks like the noise was coming from the right side main bearing, the bearings inner race in one spot looks like it was starting to deteriorate. The left side bearing was perfect, I also noticed some score marks on the inside of the oil pump rotor serface in the left case. I measured the clearance of the rotor body-tip and side clearance and it was all on the tight side of spec. I can live with having to replace the main bearings and im also replacing the crank, but I hope I dount have to replace the left case because of the marks on the oil pump surface. My question is, is it normal to have some marks in the oil pump surface? I would think some scraches would be normal beacuse of all the particles in the oil that pass through the oil pick up screen. Its also 100% in spec. :thumbsup: Does any one have any pics of the cases apart? If so I would love to see them :devil:

Unless the "scratches" are actually gouges in the surface I'd let it go.You're going to have marks on an oil pump mating surface almost right away on a new engine.Since the specs are good install the crank and bearings and go riding.

Does any one have any pics of the cases apart? If so I would love to see them

Here ya go:

splitcase.jpg

Yeah my case was scored real bad:

pump.jpg

Of course it had just passed some sort of shavings (bike was brand new). I replaced the impellers and tried to clean up the case with sandpaper. Worked just fine. RR.

Thanks for the quick reply's guys. :thumbsup: I'm glad to hear thats it is normal to have some small scratches in the oil pump, it puts my mind to ease. Ride-red those are some good pics, do you have any pics of the left case oil hole? What happend to your engine? Were you just taking it apart for fun :devil:

How was the bike running after it started making the noise? The reason i ask is b/c mine makes a rattling noise only when you rev it up. I've also done an 04' piston job and the bike runs great and has very good compression. I've just chalked it up to the weird CRF engine noise theory, but now i'm kinda scared. The noise comes from the rt side and i've checked the tightness of the kickstarter and the pipe guard. But, the bike always cranks in 1 or 2 kicks and runs really strong.

What does that Challenger have under the hood?

Some of the old timers here will remember this:

hemi1.jpg

This was a couple years ago. Since then I put a shaker hood on it. That air cleaner just about covers up the whole engine.

do you have any pics of the left case oil hole? What happend to your engine? Were you just taking it apart for fun

No I didn't have a pic of the left side hole. It was scored a little from passing the metal shavings too but not really bad. The impellers were really trashed though. As far as I could figure there were shavings left in the sump pickup when it was made. Sent it all into Honda and never heard anything. Bike had 15 hours on it maybe.

Yeah I had the engine apart to put the wide ratio set in. This was before Baja Designs made them. The trans is basically a CR250 trans and I had an IMS WR set. It slipped right in and was sweet.

Hope you get your bike back together----I'm sure it will be OK. RR.

You got to be shittin me!!! You got the elephant in that E-body jewel????? Is that an original hemi car? 1970 Challenger, only 2 things better, a 1970 hemi cuda and the best of all time, a 1971 hemi cuda convertible!! Only 7 of those bitches were ever made!! Check out my 2 e-body cars at:

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/briansgi/my_photos

if that doesn't work try:

http://photos.yahoo.com/briansgi

Both of these are 6-pak cars, the red one is all original.

Brian, very cool!! Small world. Your cars are done really nice. I went to the Mopar Nats this year in Columbus. Things just went wild upside down. Prices went through the roof. Stupid money. E bodies especially. My friend brought an original Cuda hood and shaker to the swap meet----$9000. Like I said stupid money. But a converted flat hood with repo parts will cost you almost $5000. Crazy.

No my car isn't numbers match but still a pistol grip 4 speed, Dana 60, boxing plates and rear window louvers. Fun.

Thanks for the pics. Super cars!! RR.

how fast is your car in the quarter mile? my dad has a 1970 barracuda thats runs the 1/4 mile at 13.21 at 106 it a nice car :thumbsup:

I just took some pictures of my engine all apart but I have no way to post them. I was thinking I could email them to one of you and then you could post it for me?

I just measured the oil pump side clearance with my new oil pum and its 0.07mm out of spec. The manual say's it should measure between 0.05mm and 0.13mm mine came out to 0.20mm.

So do I need a new left case now? I was thinking about lapping the left case maybe that would help bring it back into spec :thumbsup: I need info on this guys real bad.

My gasket surface had some scratches on it from the factory, so I took some valve lapping compound and applyed it to both the gasket surfaces. I then lightly rubed to two cases together for about 10 minutes. It took all the scratches out and left a nice sealing serface. I didn't think it would turn out as good as it did.