Sign in to follow this  

Aligning forks

I know all the loosen the triple clamp, spin the tire, hit the brakes etc stuff, but was wondering if there was some method to accurately align the front forks in the clamps.

Seems like my front fender is always bent and I'm never quite certain if things are lined up correctly by sighting down the bike.

I was thinking when the bikes are put together at the factory that there must be some "tool" or jig that they use to align things accurately and thought that maybe I could interpret that tool inexpensively.

I Remember a long time ago reading in the "Mother Earth News" about how to align the tires on your car. Never did it but the basic procedure stuck with me. For all practical purposes you took a string and stretched it across your back tire past the front tire and adjusted things so that the front tires front and rear sides touched the string at the same time.

Seems a little involved for a dirtbike but just got me thinking about it.

Sometimes I think my bikes tracking correctly and sometimes I wonder after I do the bar tweak thing and then the between the legs untweak.

Eddie

Eddie,

Did you loosen the top clamp as well? If not, it might be out of align with the bottom clamp. Just my 0.02.

Dont loosen the triple clamps. Instead loosen the bolts that hold the axle in. The bottom part of your forks will twist in the fork tubes.Loosen those bolts and hold the front brake while compressing the suspension. This should be the most accurate way to do it. There is another way involving a mirror but I dont know it and it is very confusing.

Jeff, Dirtracer-

Thanks.

I've done it all kind of ways in the past. Kinda hit and miss for me.

I remember a long time ago reading something about a mirror now that you mention it. Or maybe it was plate glass. Something about holding it on the tubes and seeing if it rocked. I'll look into that some more.

Thanks.