Sign in to follow this  

'What bike to get my wife?'

why do I (almost) always read 'What bike to get my wife?'

and (almost) never 'what bike should I get'

are the 'wifes' not able to type

or simply not interested?

why is it (almost) alway him trying to get her to ride?

why are there so little girls like kpicha out there,

with a will of their own?

My opinion only.

Not all women are as aggressive as you. Most people on forums, i believe, are type A personalities. So it can be very intimidating for a women to just come on here and ask questions on a male dominated board. I feel women think that dirt bikes are a guys thing and just leave it to the men in their lives to take care of it. It takes a lot of effort to learn all the ins and outs of what dirt bike to get, or how to do certain things. So when their guy has already spent hours, days, weeks, months, years around dirt bikes it is easier just to defer to their aquired knowledge. I think you are seeing more and more women taking the plunge and learning about bikes and how to work on them, but it isn't going to happen overnight.

Not all women are as aggressive as you

self defending? :thumbsup:

on a male dominated board

called thumpette forum? :awww:

just wondered :devil:

if I am interested in something and have a question my hubby can not answer, normally I do the research and ask questions until I understand,

if I do not really care ... oh well, that is a different story

The guys DO ask each other. There are always posts, if not here, then certainly in many other forums, about "What bike for me" or "How do you like your XXXXX." In an industry where you don't often get to test ride something, others' inputs are valuable when bike shopping.

Also, many of the wives in question are beginners, and may not know what questions to ask, nor yet have a frame of reference to decide what they want yet. So their husbands are helping them find the correct bike.

remember I kept asking the weight freaks why niggard with every ounce?

:thumbsup:

finally a 'wife' they never have names or faces, do they? and they can not type, either who agrees :awww:

and who would have been better off picking her bike herself :devil:

copied for 'sales':

Everytime I look at my wife trying to start the CRF250R, my blood boils. She has no technique. It takes her like forever to start the thing, or I would have to start it for her. Now, she bitches that I bought the wrong bike for her.

I told her that the R is much lighter, and she responded by saying "At least with the X, I can start the damn thing and ride it!".

If you look across the board, fiep, you'll see a LOT of guys asking stuff like "should I get the 250 or 450, I weigh such & such, amd only so tall", etc, etc... or "is this or that bike to heavy for me"...

Although I always wonder why those who post "for there wives" focus more on the GENDER than the SIZE of the person... I see more "which bike for a girl" than "what bike for a beginner with no riding experience at all who is 5'5" and 130 lbs", etc... like the "is a CR500 good for a girl?" (not to pick on that one post, but its a good exampls...) Well, is it good for a guy?!?! Depends on a lot of things, doesn't it??? go figure! :thumbsup:

And your quote is a big point, too! Although I swear by kick starts... but I knew I could figure it out, and don't have a issue standing on the bike doing it, at 5'10"... my back can give me problems sometimes, and I know the riding we do involves lots of techinical stuff that involves crashing a LOT, and pikcing up the bike a lot, so weight was a bigger issue for me than kick starting... plus I wanted to do MX... which made the YZ250F the perfect bike for me. NOT because I'm 'a girl', but because of everything I listed above!!!

I don't know why more girls don't ask on the boards for themsleves... but I also think guys are more likely to use the internet and be into computers, (sort of a spin off of the male fascination with all things motorized, while lots of women would rather be socializing over lunch & shopping) so that might be part of it, too... just comfort with the forum on the guys part. And the intimidation factor mentioned above. You should have seen it before the thumpette forum, there were only maybe 5 women posting regularly, that I recall! Much better now! :devil:

Just my thoughts on the matter... good post, btw! :awww:

why do I (almost) always read 'What bike to get my wife?'

and (almost) never 'what bike should I get'

are the 'wifes' not able to type

or simply not interested?

i don't allow my wife to use the internet. it'll just put ideas into her head that she doesn't need. better for me to gather the information and make the decisions for her. she's busy enough with the house anyway.

i don't allow my wife to use the internet. it'll just put ideas into her head that she doesn't need. better for me to gather the information and make the decisions for her. she's busy enough with the house anyway.

haha, gotcha! :thumbsup:

I like the topic "How can I get my wife to stay her a$$ at home while I go ride every weekend"

or

"How can I get my wife to do a better job at cleaning my bike"

or

How can I get my wife to agree to lend her bike to the hot new secretary at work so I can take her riding?"

This should get things going! :thumbsup:

If you look across the board, fiep, you'll see a LOT of guys asking stuff like "should I get the 250 or 450,

right attempt,

wrong angle, l2f

my question was not 'why do people ask'

it was 'why does hi ask instead of her'... if she is interested in riding at all she should be the one ...

I like the topic "How can I get my wife to ...

oh well Slinger, shouldn't your very first question be "How can I get me a wife?"

My opinion only.

Not all women are as aggressive as you. Most people on forums, i believe, are type A personalities. So it can be very intimidating for a women to just come on here and ask questions on a male dominated board. I feel women think that dirt bikes are a guys thing and just leave it to the men in their lives to take care of it. It takes a lot of effort to learn all the ins and outs of what dirt bike to get, or how to do certain things. So when their guy has already spent hours, days, weeks, months, years around dirt bikes it is easier just to defer to their aquired knowledge. I think you are seeing more and more women taking the plunge and learning about bikes and how to work on them, but it isn't going to happen overnight.

Something like that, although with my wife, it doesn't have anything to do with intimidation, she just isn't THAT interested. She likes riding when the conditions are right, but isn't passionate about it the way we are ('we' meaning the guys and gals who spend time here on TT). If I figure out what bike she should get, find good places to ride and people to ride with, she'll join in the fun, but if I left it up to her it just wouldn't happen. Sure, it would be great if she was as nuts about dirt bikes as you gals are, but the way I figure it, I'm lucky; she's not only willing to prepare for and come along on the trip (including packing the clothes, planning the food, cooking, etc.) but she's willing to climb on a dirt bike and actually do some riding with me and our son when we get there, I just have to do a little extra to make sure it's an enjoyable experience for her.

I like the topic "How can I get my wife to ...

oh well Slinger, shouldn't your very first question be "How can I get me a wife?"

Absolutley not!

Most of the lovely young ladies I have spent time with are fruit loops.

I imagine that when I am ready to settle down and have some kids I will be more open minded to that type of thing, but that will be a while.

Can you insert the following into your wedding vows: Do you promise to let this man hang out with his buddies whenever he wants, drink as much beer as he wants (maybe even burn one once in a while) and ride every weekend and hookie day from work for the rest of you life so help you God? Bride says: I do! :thumbsup::awww::devil:

If you look across the board, fiep, you'll see a LOT of guys asking stuff like "should I get the 250 or 450,

right attempt,

wrong angle, l2f

my question was not 'why do people ask'

it was 'why does hi ask instead of her'... if she is interested in riding at all she should be the one ...

Yah, I used it partially to go off on my own little pet peeve, why everyone is so concerned about gender rather than ability & size in general...sorry! :thumbsup:

Can you insert the following into your wedding vows...

Absolutley not!

I am the one with the open cage door

I AM allowed to hang with my buddies and drink beer :thumbsup:

:lol:Thank you guys!! I needed the laugh. :thumbsup:

It's been a H3ll of a few weeks!!! Family problems suck!! A friend told us to change our name and move far far away.