04 450EXC will not start in gear?

Guys, just got back from a 3 hr Hare Scramble and boy am i pissed! The bike would not start in gear today(clutch in) on the button. I thought maybe if it was real hot, that might cause it, then i remembered that it would not go off the line, when it was cold and i had to get it in neutral before it would fire. A couple of times it was a real bas*ard to get into neutral and defo cost me a lap at the end, as i had to bump it. The bike has always been a very very good starter, so i am confused as to what the problem might be. When i press the button, there is nothing, no attempt at firing or noise of the starter relay clicking. As usual with these things, it started first time this morning, but did do it once when i took into the shop earlier!

I heard there was a switch on the gear selector barrel, that allows full power upshifts, by killing the ignition. If that was faulty, could that be it?

If the battery was low on juice, would that be enough to not allow the starter motor to turn over in gear?

Any thoughts anyone?

There is a clutch switch as well as a gear switch, I think.

If it is in gear it will not start unless you pull in the clutch.

If the Clutch switch is not engaging, it will not even turn over as you described. Will only start in neutral.

I had the same thing with my WR450.

I just pulled apart the clutch switch, cleaned it out and reconnected it. Bingo!

An alternative is to permanently disconnect the clutch switch.

Attempting to disconnect the gear switch is a pain, so I would leave that alone.

There is a clutch switch as well as a gear switch, I think.

If it is in gear it will not start unless you pull in the clutch.

Not on USA bikes. My starter will for sure engage with the bike in gear and clutch out. I've done that accidentally quite a few times by bumping the switch.

Bugger, I thought that sounded too easy!

Does it start in gear, clutch in with the kick start?

Would rule out the battery issue at least!

From their I guess I would look at that gear selector switch you mentioned.

I have a few mates with 525's. I will ask them on the weekend if I see them.