Sign in to follow this  

Nuetral safety switch problems

I know that I have seen it posted here before but I can not find it.

Anyway, this past weekend, I did a nose dive into a deep water/mud hole burying my handle bars. When I got my senses back and tried starting the bike, it would not start while it was in gear with the clutch lever pulled. I assume that the little switch on the clutch lever is messed up or really dirty. Anyone ran into this issue before? If so, what is the fix for this?

Thanks all!

Mark

I dont beleive there is a "NSS" on the clutch lever itself, or the actuating lever on the case. Sorry I couldnt be of more help though. Good Luck.

:Di disconnected the blue wire nuetral switch and removed the clutch switch so i could mount trick levers,the only downside is the bike has to be in nuetral to start,no biggy,the way i see it its one less electrical issue to deal with :thumbsup:

Must be something new? My '02 didn't have a wire to the clutch lever that I have seen--and I have an aftermarket lever set--or if it is there, I have never noticed it. If you disconnect the blue nuetral wire, you may not pass a sound a test as this limits revs to 7,200 rpm in nuetral I am told. They sound test at half throttle and your bike's half throttle would now be 7,200 rpm with the wire disconnected instead of 3,600--big difference in sound! Maybe your bike sucked in some water and it took a few kicks and frustration to get it started, and it just happened to start when you put it in nuetral?

Must be something new? My '02 didn't have a wire to the clutch lever that I have seen--and I have an aftermarket lever set--or if it is there, I have never noticed it. If you disconnect the blue nuetral wire, you may not pass a sound a test as this limits revs to 7,200 rpm in nuetral I am told. They sound test at half throttle and your bike's half throttle would now be 7,200 rpm with the wire disconnected instead of 3,600--big difference in sound! Maybe your bike sucked in some water and it took a few kicks and frustration to get it started, and it just happened to start when you put it in nuetral?

Rudy, your 02 doesn't have ANY wire going to the clutch - it has NO e-start hence no "safety" circuit is needed to protect the starter from running while in gear. As for the blue wire, I believe disconnecting it will allow the bike to rev BEYOND the 7K RPM mark to the 13.5K limiter also giving the bike a hotter spark in neutral. With the blue wire in place, it will limit your RPM to around 7K-ish and a cooler spark in neutral (harder to start).

So what are the wires that run to the clutch lever do?

All I know is that when the bike was upside down in the water, then died, it would not start with the clutch lever pulled while in gear. I had to put the bike in nutral before it would start.

Help please!

Mark

All I know is that when the bike was upside down in the water, then died, it would not start with the clutch lever pulled while in gear. I had to put the bike in nuetral before it would start.

Help please!

Mark

All I know is that when the bike was upside down in the water, then died, it would not start with the clutch lever pulled while in gear. I had to put the bike in nutral before it would start.

Help please!

Mark

I don't have an e-start WR, but my understanding is that the wiring on the clutch lever is to prevent you from activating the starter with the clutch engaged while in gear. That circuit should be irrelevant in neutral (i.e. clutch pulled or not, the starter should still work).

Sounds like in your wreck/swim :devil: the wiring harness for that circuit got disconnected somehow? So even if you pull in the clutch, it thinks you haven't so it won't allow the starter to work (since you said it only works in neutral) - just a guess on my part, make sure the wiring for the clutch lever is in tact and in working order :thumbsup:

does this blue wire pertain to yz's also? and if so, why would i/ wouldnt i want to keep this wire connected?

:cheers:warrior dont trip your bike has none of that [@#$%&*!],its a race ready badd ass [@#$%&*!] :thumbsup:

Neutral safety switches ( and kickstand switches) suck and should be bypassed as I did my DRz but my wr250f "03" does not have either.

:cheers:warrior dont trip your bike has none of that [@#$%&*!],its a race ready badd ass [@#$%&*!] :thumbsup:

alright, sounds good to me man.

does this blue wire pertain to yz's also? and if so, why would i/ wouldnt i want to keep this wire connected?

I don't know for sure for new YZFs, check your manual's wiring diagram. The idea of the blue wire is to keep people from revving their bikes to the limiter in neutral and possibly blowing the engine since it has no load it's easy to get up on the RPM (like on mis-shifts). I would not discount that that wire does not exist for the YZFs just because it's a "badd ass" race bike. One easy way to find out if the YZF has the 7K limit in neutral is to rev your bike in neutral and see if it will hit 13.5K RPM. :thumbsup:

Well I found my problem. Thanks all that helped!!!

There is a little tiny microswitch behind the clutch lever that was sticking. It was stuck in the clutch engaged position. A little cable lube and TLC took care of the problem. Also noticed that I have aquirred a flat rear S12 from my previous race!! :thumbsup:

Oh well! It never ends!!!!

Mark

The yzf's do have the blue wire. I havent ever seen a difference in spark with it connected or not.

Try opening the plug up to 0.040 if you want a hotter spark. It does help in starting.

I am not sure if the switch is a normally open or a normally closed switch. But for those that are interested, it is the first connection on the clutch side behind the front plate.

Mark

The yzf's do have the blue wire. I havent ever seen a difference in spark with it connected or not.

Try opening the plug up to 0.040 if you want a hotter spark. It does help in starting.

I use an iridium plug so I don't think the gap matters or is that incorrect? :cry: :cry: