Sign in to follow this  

xr250 dont go real good

i have a problem with my 2002 xr 250.

whenever i do a jump, the engine seems to die for about 1 second on landing.

i have talked to a few people about this.......everyone seems to think that its the flood level on my carbi.

i am dying to have a fiddle with it but being new to motorbikes...i dont want to start adjusting screws at random.

does anyone know of a keihin carburetor manual that i could buy or get off the internet?

or does anyone have another idea of what the problem might be?

Nearly all XR's are renowned for doing this. Because of the carb not having an anti-splash guard over the pilot jet this will happen. The problem was most noticable on the XR400. You could try a thing i did with my XR400 where I cut a 15mm length of fuel line that fitted snug over the pilot jet which effectively extends the pilot jet's pickup 5mm deeper into the fuel. This little mod helped my XR400 but didnt completely cure the problem. Check your float levels while your'e at it- tip the carb on its side and measure the distance between the bowl mating surface and the bottom of the floats, it should be 12.5mm on the XR250. Also check the pilot screw opening (screw at the bottom front of the carb in the middle), it should be between 2-21/2 turns out from fully screwed in. Other than that just check obvious things like jets being loose and make sure the airfilter is clean, good luck!