Sign in to follow this  

OT: Question for Burned or other mechanics

My neighbor has a Yamaha TTR250.. He's managed to completely mangle the oil drain bolt and cannot get it off. He's even snapped off an "easy out" stripped bolt remover with no luck. Any advice? If he ends up taking it to a mechanic and they have to drill it out and re-tap the drain hole, any idea what kind of labor cost this would involve? Thanks..

-Mike

Yes, I believe it is.. Last update he gave me was that it's completely rounded and worn so bad there is barely anything left to grip onto (with vise grips, etc..).

-Mike

Ahh so the head is not completely gone, just rounded off. Weld a large nut to what remains of the drain bolt and turn it out. The hex on the rounded drain plug is 14 mm, right? Buy a 14mm or 9/16 nut. Drill or file until it will just fit over the head of the drain plug. TIG weld the nut to the drain plug. With this you can turn the drain plug. No reason for it to be that tight. Repair threads as necessary. Replace the drain plug and washer.

Hmmm sounds good. OK, we'll give that a try. Now we need to find a neighbor with a welder :thumbsup::devil:

Thanks!!!

-Mike

if the head is there enough still,you can try tapping a under size 12 point socket on to it.it may grip it enough to loosen it.

if the head is there enough still,you can try tapping a under size 12 point socket on to it.it may grip it enough to loosen it.

A ratchet is not going to get you much,, that fastener needs to be shocked.. An air gun would be my suggestion, or possible an hand impact driver

Ahh.. more ideas.. :thumbsup: I better get over & take a look at it myself. I haven't seen it since he first started tearing it up, so I'm not sure of it's current condition. However, from what he's told me, it's pretty bad..

Thanks again!

-Mike