Sign in to follow this  

Clarke 3.9 tank questions

I am ready to order one. Do I need a new petcock gasket/o-ring? My bike is new, '04 "S" with 800 miles on it. If I do need new petcock gaskets/o-rings is it only the 2 o-rings that I need to order?

I have read up on the larger tanks & is seems the Clarke is a direct bolt on, is that right? just add petcock, gas & go riding? I am going with the yellow tank, is the color the same as my stock yellow colors? I assume from their website the radiator shrouds bolt right on to the Clarke tank?

Last question, direct through Clarke the tank list for $170, anywhere else offer it for less?

Thanks,

Roy

I ordered one, its in the mail....

I hope i can use my petcock from my factory tank, because i didn't order a new petcock :-P

You utilize the stock petcock and o-rings. No modification required. Perfect bolt in replacement. The yellow matches farly close untill you put in gas(you can see the gas level).

My Clarke tank had a lot of plastic on the inside so I washed it out good with water and then let it dry before I filled it with gas. I didn't like the vacuum petcock that comes stock on the S model so I replaced it with a petcock from an E and then plugged the vaccum port on the carb. :thumbsup: Be sure you bend the wire tabs that run along the front of the frame so they wont rub on the Clarke tank. :devil:

Hey RoyH,

I just ordered a 3.9 Clarke from the TT store for $161.50 and the one way valve for $7.86. You really don't need the one way valve but my bike is always laying on the ground so I thought it would be a good idea. Make sure you get the "Newer Yellow" which I believe is for 2002 up.

Also TT shipped it very fast and gave great service as always. :thumbsup:

Hey thanks fashizzle! I wish I would have asked for it last friday when I ordered my CFC covers & frame guards from the TT Store. Roger...on the color, I am very aware of the different yellow's, my Acerbis Pro rally handguards are the mustard color yellow :thumbsup:

My Clarke tank was definitely not an effortless bolt-in. The holes in the bottom of the tank were not big enough to allow the fine mesh screens of the petcock tubes to pass through, I had to use a drill and enlarge each of the holes. And the brass thread inserts did not line up with the holes on the petcock, had to fix that too. Based on what I read from other members, I expected it to be a drop-in. It wasn't too terribly bad, but certainly not the drop-in I expected.