XR400 History

I know the XR400 has been around for a long time. What were the differences in the different model years? I'm curious because I just bought a 2001, and I was wondering if there were any changes/improvements before or after that model year. Thanks, Larry

hi there can't be to many changes i boght a manual for my 2004 and honda sent me a manual for the year 2000 with 2004 stikers to put over the 2000.

?:devil::awww:

I have looked through many posts here and it looks like (a) the colors changed between 1999 and 2000, and (? the fork springs were stiffened up from .38 to .41 in 2000 or 2001. Couldn't find anything else on my own. Larry

The updates are as follows-

*96- running change made to clutch springs

*97- no updates except for graphics

*98- updated ignition timing, .43 fork springs replace .39 springs, updated damping in forks, updated carb settings ie needle slide jets, stronger kickstart lever, stronger r/h footpeg bracket, stronger rear subframe,updated triple chamber muffler replaced old twin chamber design (less restrictive)

99- Identical to 98 save for graphics changes

00- updated countershaft and 2nd gear pinions, updated damping in rear shock, plus fighting red colouring and graphics!!

01 and on- graphics changes only

• Helpful 1

*98- updated ignition timing, .43 fork springs replace .39 springs, updated damping in forks, updated carb settings ie needle slide jets, stronger kickstart lever, stronger r/h footpeg bracket, stronger rear subframe,updated triple chamber muffler replaced old twin chamber design (less restrictive)

00- updated countershaft and 2nd gear pinions, updated damping in rear shock, plus fighting red colouring and graphics!!

Fantastic info, thanks a lot!

Now one more question. Do you know how many watts the stator of a 2001 puts out? I saw a 200W Electrix stator advertised somewhere, and was wondering if the standard one was significantly less? (I may want to add heated grips and a powerlet socket). Larry

I thought 2nd gear was updated in 1997.

In the U.S. the forks were change in 1998 to longer springs, but still the wimpy 0.38 kg spring rate. I swapped to 0.43 kg and like them a lot better.

I tried to figure out when the 2nd gear set was updated, and came up with 2000 as well (from parts lists). I am not sure where the 1997 date came from, but it has been quoted many times too. I was compiling XR400 information (maybe an updated FAQ someday...) and here is what I have on changes:

?

-------------

Q: What changes and updates have been done over the years?

A: There have been several, but most of them are easily overlooked. The

bikes get new stickers every year, and occasionally new lettering on the

seat. I won't bother detailing cosmetic changes, other than noting the

bikes changed from NH-196 (Ross white) in 1999 to R-134 (Fighting Red)

in 2000. Frame changed colour too, from NH-262M to NH-146M (Accurate

Silver Metallic). There have been quite a few country specific jetting

changes as well.

During 1996:

The oil pump drive gear and the clutch lifter pins were updated.

In 1997:

There are some hints that the 2nd gear upgrade happened here and not

in 2000 as listed below.

In 1998:

The biggest change was the exhaust tip and the airbox inlet duct.

The exhaust tip no longer had a slip in silencer part, but was instead

fixed at a 3/4" output size. The airbox duct used to be a two piece unit,

and now it was all one molded chunk of rubber. The idea of both of these

changes was to be non-removable restrictions so that they could install

leaner jetting without worrying that the end user would pull out the

restrictions and run the engine dangerously lean. So now you got a 52/142

instead of the 62/162 for pilot/main jets. California got even leaner jets,

while Europe bikes retained the 162 main.

A different CDI box and flywheel were found on North American 400s this

year. John Rushworth in his package of info seemed to think the newer

CDI ignition had less advance. The different flywheel might be for the

same reason, as the placement of the little metal strip on the outside of

the flywheel is what the CDI box uses as a reference to determine when to

spark. Note that the Europe/Aus (ED/U/DK) bikes retained the original CDI

box and flywheel. I can only guess that the ignition change was in

conjunction with the leaner jetting that North American bikes got.

The kickstart was beefed up a bit to prevent breakage. The forks were

changed, with the spring retainer that used to go under the damper

rod nut no longer being used (hence the different length springs).

The airbox lid had an extra bit added to it to hold the filter retainer

on once the lid was closed, as the 96/97 versions could silently eject

and let the filter fall into the airbox. Shock pivots were changed from

the older style spherical pivots to needle bearings.

In 1999:

The countershaft size was upped 1mm from 17mm to 18mm and hence some

c'shaft related gears/bushings/washers needed to be changed to fit too.

The kickstart spindle was also upped 2mm. The kickstart one is easy to spot.

Just look at the numbers on the black oil seal around the kickstarter shaft.

Newer seals are 20mm ID, (30mm OD); older ones are 18mm ID, (29mm OD).

Shaft shear failures were reported (yikes!), hence these updates. If you

have a 1998 or older with a shear failure, it might be worth looking into

what is required to fit the newer parts. It seems the new kickstart

shaft meant a new kickstart lever for 1999 as well. Part way through the

year, they started using a new head gasket (12251-MBV-003).

In 2000:

Got an updated second gear set (drive and driven) in the transmission.

The newer gear part numbers end in 671 and should be backwards compatible

with older bikes. Although the information I have indicates this took

place in 2000, there is information on the internet that seems to indicate

the 2nd gear upgrade took place as early as 1997.

I am not aware of any other changes that took place after this.

• Helpful 1

HairyScary,

Thank you for the History of the XR400.

The 1997 2nd gear change I think was published in a Dirt Bike magazine article. I can't find another reference.

Your CDI data corresponds to what a Honda mechanic told me. He called Honda Racing to get the details on how to set up an XR400 for racing. Using a 1997 CDI and 1997 headers was recommended along with jetting changes and pulling the baffles. This was in 1999.

In 2000, the plastic went to red.

A friend who has revalved the forks on several XR400's, including mine, noticed the shim stack does change year to year. He rode a stock 2000 XR400 and noted the new fork springs are stiffer (0.40 kg) and a lot more rideable stock.

Well I had a look at the header part number, and it ends in 671, which means it is possible that it was revised slightly. If it was ending in 670, then you would know it hasn't changed. But it could have been revised before the 1st bike even shipped, as there are lots of 671 part numbers on parts that we know haven't changed since large scale production.

(The last digit in the part number is for a minor revision by the supplier to Honda. )

I tried 18320-KCY-670 (header part number but with 670) at Service Honda and it came back "not found". Compare with the 2nd gear that we know changed, and Service Honda gives prices for both 23421-KCY-670 and 23421-KCY-671 (but I'd hope they wouldn't sell you a '670!) So I think we can put this one to rest.

• 2 years later...

I have a 2000 XR400 and am picking up a 1996 XR400 today which is street legal. From what I can tell on the changes between years the forks are stiffer on the 2000 so those will go on the 96, the minor changes on the engine means I will swap engines but keep the 96 CDI as it seems it havs a better advance in it. Any other changes you suggest? I just wanted a streetlegal unt and am trading another bike I have for it.

You forgot about the kickstart shaft diameter being changed somewhere in there because they would occasionally strip out. I think it was '96 or '97.

I don't think anyone mentioned that they put different tires on them from year to year. They are basically the same engine from 1996-2004 not a lot was changed.?

The time of the 2nd gear change is big for me, heard different times on it. I have a 99 (bought in april of 99) The tight trails around here means I spend most of my time Pounding on 2nd gear. Is there an easy way to check or do I just hope it doesn't blow up on me?

• 4 months later...

Stock stator is 75 watts. Good enough for upgrade from stock 35 watt headlight to 55 watt. But if you do the rear brake light mod (adding brake light to stock light), typically incondesent brake light consumes about 21 watts (running tail light 5 watts) so your head light will dim (with the 55 watt & stock stator even if revs are up). The 200 watt re-wind is very popular and most guys run one of the 2 100 watt circuits for just head light and the other circuit for the rest.

If you want to lic for road, and use stock stator I suggest getting a 35/35 hi/lo headlight so you can run brake lights with it. Side note: I have not found a horn that works right with a/c. So you might want to put horn on a batt. You might save some watts using LED tail and brake lights but the LED bulb (inserted into stock tail socket) I tried would not work in A/C just like horn choked on A/C. Now you have to consider a rectifier to convert your A/C to D/C for the LEDs and Horn. Good info at these links:

http://www.all-offroad.com/DirtBikes/TrailTips/XRStatorRewind.html

http://rickystator.com/pages/XR650stator.html

http://www.fourstrokesonly.com/HeadLightHL.html

http://www.procycle.us/main/dskit.htm

Hope that helps!