Sign in to follow this  

Mile High Report

Long drive, short race

Got down there to be greeted by warm temps in the Mountains on Saturday. We stayed out at the race site, a ski area outside of Cloudcroft that actually works out good for camping and the start. Not much of a jetting area so guys were running up and down the a small dirt road in front of our camp. That kinda thing makes you notice the dust which gives a hint of conditions for race day. The biggest thing was that a good 80% of these guys were blasting up and down without helmets. Morons :lol:

At the riders meeting they told us quads suck, well not exactly in that manner. They said that due to multi use of the area many of the old trails were blown out and "not as challenging for enduros as they use to be". They said they set the speed average high because of this.

I sent in by myself and got on minute 44 and didn't know anyone else starting with me. Nice thing about doing that at an enduro is getting to meet new people and talk with them at the rest stops. A couple of real nice guys on my minute :thumbsup:

From the start we had a 1/2 mile of trail to a jeep road that I proceeded to miss the turn off of. Figured it out and was able to make up the time before the 3 mile mark. The first test went how most of the day would go. The guys on my minute let me go and I would catch up to the minutes in front of me and have to get around them in dusty conditions. I must have caught 15 guys in test section. Through out the day my throat actually got sore from yelling to pass and I just started passing with out the "I'm here" yell.

The course was very rock filled to say the least, lots of flat tires were seen but it wasn't horrible. A couple of the sections had 30 mph sections that I had to actually slow down on to stay on time. The long course split had 7 miles of open stuff at 30 MPH that was easy to stay on time to a check, then 3 miles of tight stuff they took some points away on. The whole long course only had 57 ground miles. Lots of burned checks by guys too. I pulled into the check after gas and the worker said "Finally someone on time". I ended up dropping 5 for the day and getting 2nd.

I have been switching back and forth between my YZ250 and the WR450 this year. I took the WR450 to this race and was glad I did with the rocks and high speed stuff. The bike is very stable in that kind of stuff.

Good to see some of the TT guys down there too :awww: Endozen I got your trophy also :devil:

Your race went much better than mine!

Zeroed the first check then it went downhill from

there. Literally, I rode off the side of the mountain

and was 20 minutes late after that.

Finally worked it back to 10 minutes late, then lowsided

it and bent my sprocket. Luckily, it was right after a check and one of the

workers had a hammer and crescent wrench. Got er straightened out enough to finish, but was

leery of throwing a chain so I was taking it easy the rest

of the way.

Was in 7th when I left.

Here is my description of the course:

rocks,rocks,rocks,smoooth fun section,rocks,rocks,rocks,

PS - The GP on Sat was fun as well, should have ridden

the enduro bike instead of the MX bike though.

Here is a descripton of the GP course:

grass,grass,rocks,rocks,grass,grass,rocks,rocks,

Fun time though, long drive down, but we got back to Boulder in 9 hours 15 minutes. :thumbsup:

High speeds, dust, and rocks. I can see they're having the same problems we are with quads, precious little singletrack in this race.

I burned the 30mph checkout after the gas by 4 seconds, even after making the previous 30mph checkout on time, it never dawned on me that I may be early. And for some reason, I figured the first check on the split section was the only check and the rest was a transfer section, so I plonked along into the next check. Besides my mental gaffes, I had a pretty decent time considering how lacking it was in technical terrain.

I hope they can find some singletrack down there, those high speeds with the dust and rocks may combine for a serious accident in the future.

Thanks for picking up my trophy Rex, you going to the Cow?

Thanks for picking up my trophy Rex, you going to the Cow?

Yep I'll be there, think that will be a 250 race though. I will bring your trophy then.

on the split section was the only check and the rest was a transfer section

I talked with the check works for a second then plonked on also, when I got to the tighter uphill it dawned on me what was going on. Dan did the same he said. We all had the wrong mind set there for sure.

Is Jumping Cow a timekeeper?

Nope they are running it qualifier style.

Good to see the post on it talking about some of the bigger logs being removed.

"They said that due to multi use of the area many of the old trails were blown out and "not as challenging"

What a surprise.... :thumbsup: After spending the last two weeks in the Taylor, Southfork and Leadville areas I know only too well boy's. The death of our sport as we know it.

Thanks for the report EDog. The Sacrametos used to be a great place to ride.