Sign in to follow this  

Knock getting louder

Just going over 2000 all trail/off-road miles on my S.

I've searched all the piston slap/CCT/ and decompression stuff. I'm thinking piston for sure. I am very familiar with the decompression noise from our Suzuki quad, and my bike at low RPM. This is a knock/slap for sure. What has me worried is that it has gotten louder.

Will a piston ring kit cure this?

Just to waylay the usual stuff:

-valves set and are good

-manual cam tensioner

-Same skid plate since new

-Same pump gas but stock S.

Could it just be the piston/ring/cylinder clearances getting sloppy?

Thanks

At idle up to mid-range with NO load. Seems to get quieter at higher RPM but may just be getting drowned out by engine's normal noise.

I have the same question...not to hijack the thread, but I just spent the weekend in Moab and the knocking is definitely louder...re-adjusted the MCCT while on the trail 'cause I could hear it riding and it's still there. At all RPM's and all loads. Though it seems to get quieter at higher RPM's as cannondud sez...but could just be the rest of the mechanical symphony drownding it out. Always run Chevron 91 octane.

Is it rings or rod? Hmmm...maybe time for some SERIOUS mods. I also seemed to be running hot the whole day (ambient of 90 degrees). Will the Millenium kit make it run even hotter? Of couse being upside-down a few times spilled some coolant, but it was boiling over before I was inverted anyway.

On a side note, accidentally kicking it into neutral as you attempt to launch off a 5 foot ledge is very painful for both bike and rider - mostly rider :thumbsup: Fortunately nothing broken, just lots of bruises and scrapes.

Rhett

noises are very hard with out hearing them in person

I understand completely. The power is strong as ever and it has been going for a while. Also looked at plug and it looks new, no det. damage or deposits. I'll see what a piston and ring set cost, and order them with the "E" base gasket since I'll be in there, (maybe even the hotcam intake if I can slide it by the boss).

Burned , I meant to ask on that bike you broke down the tranny , how were the piston and rings and cylinder plating?

i didnt get the cylinder.only the piston was on the rod still.the piston had suprisingly little blowby considering the conditon of the rest of it.

when you have it apart,measure the piston to cylinder clearance

I'll do that!

Do our bikes have different piston diameters like 2-smokes?. I remember the old a-b-c-d- system that they would use to best match the bore.