Sign in to follow this  

Let's talk needles

I have a Factory jet kit that was for a SV650 that I owned a few years back. The needles look like they will work in the DRZ400S that I have now. The carb off the SV650 was a BDSR39 but the slide is identical to the DRZ400's. Reason I know is I have a old slide left over from the SV650. Long story short I broke the SV650 slide installing the needle plunger & had to order a new one so I still have the broke one in the tool box. I also still have the main jets from the SV jet kit which are the same kind used in the DRZ, #140, #142.5 & #145. What would be a drawback of installing the Factory needle in the DRZ & setting the clip on the 3rd slot down from top as a starting point? swap out the stock 142.5 jet with the 140 main & install the 25 pilot? of course re-adjusting the fuel screw.

This jet kit worked okay in the SV but I preferred the shimmed OEM needle, OEM main & Factory richer pilot. Hence that is the reason I still have the SV650's kit on hand, bike is long gone. :thumbsup:

Just inquiring about this not trying to start a who's jetting works best thread or you should do this & that. :devil:

BTW the bike runs real clean & smooth now with my current setup. I guess I am bored & want to experiment.

well,i dont endorse or use factory jet kits.if thats the past jet kit experience you reffered to,i can see why your hesistant.

having the choice between the stock needle or a factory jet kit needle i would go stock needle everytime.even if you decided the use the factory needle,the taper,end demension and straight demension are unknown.

I really don't care for any brand jet kit, seems I have always had my ups & downs with all of them. I might go ahead & just install the needle & see what happens. It is not that big a project to do unless I break another throttle slide again pushing the needle plunger down :thumbsup:

no harm in trying.

if the end demension is smaller,you will need way less than 142.5 for a main jet with the stock hole.