Sign in to follow this  

1985 KLR250

I just bought this bike with only 2,450 miles on it, pricetag $450 which doesn't reflect it's condition whatsoever. Overall condition is superb, the price was low because the previous owner needed some $$$ fast.

It sat for quite awhile, so the carb is gummed up yet it starts and runs great with the exception that it won't hold an idle... it revs up on it's own every now and then. Another problem (i think), the temperature gauge goes up pretty high, yet it JUST stays out of the red while running it. Is this normal??? I was thinking it should just go over the 1/2way point on the temp. gauge. I was thinking about pulling the thermostat out today to see if this makes a difference... Would it hurt to run the bike this way, without any thermostat in it at all??? It has coolant in it, and the cooling fan works.

I performed an oil change and new air filter, drained the old gas from the tank and lubed it up here and there before putting about 50 miles on it, just some light cruising. I love this bike!

Any input is greatly appreciated! :thumbsup:

As far as the idle goes, check the throttle cables too, as too tight a pull cable can make the return spring work too hard and even a slight turn of the handlebars can move the throttle. Be sure and clean the slide real well, and be sure that the small pilot holes near the butterfly valve all flow gas. Check the enrichener and make sure it opens and closes smoothly. if it isn't already done, drill out the pilot jet cap to get to the adjuster screw and clean out the pilot holes using guitar string or another soft but stiff wire.

My guess on the temp is that the gummed up carb is causing it to run lean, and causing the overheating. Lean engines run hot. Fix the carb and see what happens.