Sign in to follow this  

Hot Start Stripped, help....WOO HOO ITS FIXED!!

So I stripped the bolt/barrel for the hot start where the cable/plunger assembly attaches into the carb. Is there an aftermarket replacement that is NOT plastic? If so where do I get it? The yamaha Part Number for the plastic part is 5TA-14991-00-00 Bike bandit part number for the plastic part is 1745322-001. #39 on the yamaha and bike bandit carb parts fitch (sp)

So is there a stainless, titanium etc. part?

Shane

That looks pretty trick. I'm going to need if I have to take mine out again. The threads on mine look they took a trip to hell and did'nt come back.

I would like a metal one also. Mine doesn't have much bite left. I salvaged it last time by cutting the stripped grooves deeper with a knife. Got enough bite to hold it and playing with the carb again today was able to screw it back in again! Not sure how many more times I can get away with it. Also wondered why on earth use a plastic housing since you have to disconnect and reconnect the damn thing so often?

Why do you guys remove and reinstall that screw so often? Just curious...

When you change the jets, its easiest to take the hot start off so you can pop the carb out of its boots and rotate it out to get at the jets.

It's just the easiest way to do it. That I've found anyway.

Well at least I am not the only one who has stripped that out. Thanks dirtball, I think I will order one today.

Now I can cancel the Dr. appointment to get my torque elbow looked at.

Shane

Leave it to Zip-Ty to come up with a solution. Just wondering how that thing goes on anyway? Do you have to thread it through from the top of the cable?

I will let you know on friday, I should get it on thursday and put it on that night.

Shane

Leave it to Zip-Ty to come up with a solution. Just wondering how that thing goes on anyway? Do you have to thread it through from the top of the cable?

So I removed the bolt/barrel for the hotstart to carb last night, preparing for the arrival of the Zipty replacement. Very easy, once you have it unscrewed and loose from the carb, you push up the spring, slide off the plunger and remove the spring and plunger. Then undo the rubber boot and slide off the bolt/ barrel. install would be reverse of above. No need to remove the whole cable at all. Now I can't wait for UPS to show up.

Shane

Thanks, good to know. Hopefully if I can get my jetting right I won't even need to mess with it anymore. Trying to get my jetting balanced so it is safe for winter and am willing to go rich in summer just to not have to keep changing it (limited time).

Installed that new aluminum ZIPTY Hot Start Carb Nut, very nice quality and works and installs great. They reduced the size from 14mm to 12mm so you can actually get a wrench on it. Would definatly reccomend for anyone who has stripped out their plactic one. $15.00 well spent.

Shane