Sign in to follow this  

Drilled my powernow!

Hey,

this morning while I had my carb off to change the needle clip and clean it good I thought I'd go ahead and do the mod while it was off. It didn't take very long to do, its just getting the first hole started and drilled that takes the longest from there its a breeze. When I put everything back on and took it around the block for a spin, it had plenty more bottom, It was definatley a noticable gain. I dont know what it did to the top end, we'll see this weekend. But I put in a #40 leak jet last week, and combined with drilling the powernow my bike revs like a 2-stroke now. I would recommend the mod to anyone. I live in FL, and I run a #178MJ, #45 PJ, #40 leak, and the Needle 1 clip down from stock.

What do you mean "drilled my powernow"? Did you drill holes in the plate?

Am i even talking about the same thing?

Yes,

I did the mod to update it to the newer updated version. Check out the links Rick posted about it.

Rick your findings dont seem to agree with their propaganda pics.

their pics point to more power up top, yet your description seems to indicate more power down low.

got any guess as to the difference?

av, have you ever drilled one of your versions? If so, what whs the affect?

Nope, my avNow works fine as is so I don't want to mess with it. Anyhow, I wouldn't know where to drill the holes since there are 3 plates on my avNow :thumbsup: their theory of opening up the lower channel with the hole doesn't make much sense to me since the plate is there to make the air channel smaller (more air velocity) and with less disturbance to begin with?! I think with the hole, there is more disturbance with the air flow coming through the hole and they've effectively opened up the channel a bit hence lowering the air velocity into the carb IMO - it just doesn't seems right or make sense to me :devil: yet people claim it works... :awww: The difference in feel/feedback between 1 and 3 plates in the venturi is very obvious down low to mid, I don't think the one plate with a hole will do better than my tripple plated avNow so I'm not switching to it... :lol:

hmmm well my guess is by blocking off the top half of the carb throat, turbulence is created at the front of the plate.

I suspect some of the air coming from the top of the airbox and going into the bottom half of the power now gets peeled off and then starts spinning into the very turbulence they said the power now got rid of.

By adding a hole that turbulent air has a place to go rather than bouncing back out of the carbs throat and screwing with the air trying to go into the bottom half, making it more... laminar. Sorry couldn't resist it's been so long. :thumbsup:

Got to say I agree with YZ250F rider. The whole would reduce any high pressure behind the plate and reduce turbulant rip off from the air steam mowing through.

Thats exactly what I was thinking the hole did. It doesn't let all of it through but just enough to keep it from backing up and also pushing more air into the engine.

Since we are all guessing here, here's my idea on the hole. :devil:

I think the hole in the PN plate is to keep the stalled air above the plate moving forward in the right direction. This would be of great benefit at the time the slide passes up over the plate at 1/2 to full throttle. The hole keeps the air above the plate moving under 1/2 throttle and is small enough not to have an effect during that range. So if true, the hole would help forward air flow above the plate and this will help mid to top power over the pre-hole design.

Key words here are, above plate, stalled air, now moving, forward:)

Thats my guess and I'll bet I'm right!!! :thumbsup:

Thats a reasonable assumption 455. I think it might be all of the above.

It could certainly help with any dip during the transition. Dead air definitely takes time to start moving.