Sign in to follow this  

DS-oriented 250X Question

Husband and I ride BMW 1150GSs on the rode and are getting the thumper bug. Looking seriously at both getting CRF250Xs.

Has anyone run them with a DS kit? We're not looking to cross the nation with them or to turn them into Aprilia RS250s (yum)- just to/from trails, maybe to work when the red mist prevails, to the local beer store, etc. If we really get hooked, we can always move to the CRF450X or something similiar later for more go for less rpm.

Also, has anyone played with a larger font/smaller rear sprocket for those more rode-oriented days?

Thanks

I have a dual sport kit on my 250X and have put about 750 miles on it between enduros, trail riding, and dual sport rides. I think you would be happy with the bike for this purpose, but for anything very long on the road you will find it has a pretty good amount of vibration. It will easily run 65 miles per hour, but I wouldn't want to do that for an extended time period.

I run the stock gearing, so a gearing change would help this. I used the Baja Design kit to do the dual sport conversion and was very pleased with the results.

Bob