Sign in to follow this  

best place to buy sprockets and chain

Well by some miracle my stock sprockets and chain still look good with at least 80 hrs on them but\have race coming up and dont want to chance it. Whats a good setup and where to buy?

I use a DID O-ring and steel sprockets 13/50. That will probably get you the longest life. If you're concerned about weight and rotational mass you might want to consider a regular chain or aluminum sprockets (although I doubt the difference is worth it considering the shorter life.)

Either way you can probably find a good deal on a chain and sprocket combo from Motosport Outlet, I know I did. Here is a link:

MotosportOutlet Chain and Sprocket combos

Thanks for the link. I ride in tight trails and have been happy with a 13/54. Do you think chains that come with the combos shown will be long enough? Looks like the biggest size rear they offer are 53's, I assume the chain will fit.

On my 13/50 I cut off 7 links from the stock chain (can't remember how many links they come with). So I would think you'd be OK with 53 or 54 on the back.

When I said "stock chain" I was referring to a new DID O-ring, not the OEM chain. I want to say it had 120 links on it out of the box.

Thanks. Where can I find some info on X rings?

I'm totally sold on x-ring chains. Each year, I race 8-10 HS plus 10 or more all day play rides and I only need to adjust my chain about once a year. I replace the chain and both sprockets when it gets out of adjustment the second time, which is about once a year. I also take it off and clean it in kerosene several times a year to get the grit off of it, which also probably makes it last longer.

The x-ring chain has considerably less rolling friction compared to an o-ring chain. It not as frictionless as a standard chain, but you can actually spin the rear wheel with the pressure wand at the car wash (with your bike laying on its side, of course) :thumbsup:

I run the DID Gold X-ring chain and either a Renthal or TAG aluminum rear sprocket and a steel front sprocket. Here's the best deal I've found on the DID x-ring chain:

http://rockymountainmc.com/home.asp?sid=0001651836

Here's some more propaganda on the virtues of x-ring chains:

http://www.didchain.com/question.html

I ordered a "Primary Drive" brand X ring chain and sprockets from Rocky Mtn .. The entire package was $73! I cant believe how cheap. Something must be wrong, is this a cheapo brand??

considering its nearly 1/2 the price of what I'm running, its probably worth a shot!

too bad it doesn't come in gold = no bling + more rust :thumbsup: