Side stand/clutch switch removal

Dunno about the Kickstand switch (don't have one on the E), but this weekend I busted off the wires for the clutch in a crash and just plugged the wires together behind the headlight...worked like a charm. Yep ! good deal there. To overide the stand switch just follow the wires over to the connection and unplug it. Then the connector on the bike needs to be cut off and those two wires joined with a butt connector. I used the heat shrink type ?

Remember in case you want to sell the bike, to keep the stock features available. So, don't cut the wire. Buy 2 small female connectors, and make a shunt with a short piece of wire. connect it to the green canned plug under the seat, to short the kickstand switch. If you remove the switch, don't throw it. The next owner might want it.

Also, if your bike ever has to go through an inspection for roadworthiness, it will be required...

• 1 year later...

I took off the side stand switch right away. The connector is by the right hand side just ahead of the upper shock mount on my 2000 DRZ 400S. I thought I would be smart and go to the local Cycle Wreckers and get a connector from a wrecked bike's wiring harness rather than cutting up the side stand harness. The "coneheads" wanted $20. I bought 2 wiring terminals from the cycle dealer for a $1 and loaded the connector with silicone grease and wraped it in electrical insulating tape then high temprature aluminum heater duct tape. I am leaving the clutch lever switch in the circuit because I think you will "smoke" the starter motor if you try to start it in gear many times. Hope this helps you. Eric B.

• 2 months later...

Thanks! This posting helped a lot.

Just picked up a new 05 DRZ 400 SM for a screaming deal.

First order of business:

Remove Side Stand switch

Remove air box snorkel

Remove Round front fender Reflectors

Remove Rear Plate holder and reflector

Remove Seat Strap

Remove Passenger Fot Pegs

Add Battery Tender lead

Adjust Clutch and Brake Levers

All of those extra parts I put in a shoe box. Nobody wants them, but it gives the impression that you're organized and meticulous.

When the time comes to sell the bike, it makes a better impression that you have these OEM parts still around.

Next - I need to get a hair dryer to remove all of oddball stickers. Will keep the tire pressure ones, because they're handy to have.

After that- I'm looking for a Corbin seat, K&N air filter. Some kind of after market exhaust and jet kit. Any suggestions on jet kit and pipe?

Thanks

My mechanic in Ontario, Canada says if it was original equipment, it must be present and functioning to pass a safety. It's a provincial issue so other parts of Canada may be different. US is state-by-state too I assume.

In Arizona, they don't even you at the bike. You just sign a piece of paper saying it's road worthy! Ah the joys of libertarianism.

Dunno about the Kickstand switch (don't have one on the E), but this weekend I busted off the wires for the clutch in a crash and just plugged the wires together behind the headlight...worked like a charm.

Rhett

the exact same thing happen to me today, 26th, on our boxing day ride out, works fine, i'm just gonna keep it like that!

Thanks! This posting helped a lot.

Just picked up a new 05 DRZ 400 SM for a screaming deal.

First order of business:

Remove Side Stand switch

Remove air box snorkel

Remove Round front fender Reflectors

Remove Rear Plate holder and reflector

Remove Seat Strap

Remove Passenger Fot Pegs

Add Battery Tender lead

Adjust Clutch and Brake Levers

Thanks

Don't forget:

CS sprocket cover

Chain Guard

Bar Ends

Reflector mounting plate

Smog Cannister

Ya, there's a ton of crap to get rid of.

• 2 months later...

So lets say I wanted to keep the switch for sentimental reasons (OK, maybe

more to be able to put it back on the bike if I sell it ? ). Anybody know

where one would get the male part of that green connector to make a clean

short that doesn't require cutting the original wires?

Thanks,

Gustavo

• 3 years later...