Sign in to follow this  

Califorrnia City Areas - Best for kids

I am planning a weekend trip to California City over the weekend of the 25th. I am taking a few kids along that have only been riding a few months and was wondering where you would recommend. I am staying for the weekend and have a 26' toy hauler. All thoughts and input are welcome and thanks in advance.

-Greg

Hey bro!! Try camp ground "B" off of twenty mule team road. It's about 17 miles past the "turdle" preserve on the left side of the road. If you hit the 395 you've gone too far.

saddog/Scott :thumbsup:

Hey Valk

Go out just a way further to Spangler ohv area this time of year you will probably have the 57,000 acres to yourself and maybe a couple other campers. Use the wagon wheel camping area this area is great for kids. This area is good for adults as well if someone can stay with the kids while the adults go out for a ride. :thumbsup:

How tight are they at Spangler on the Red Sticker restrictions? :thumbsup: Don't want to give the wrong impression to the kids ya know! :devil:

There's a poker run behind the prison! Take a right on 140th off TMT and another left @ T in road! Plenty of open space! NO BLM or rangers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

fb5a7691.jpg

Valk we rode out at spangler quite a bit last year. At this time you will be lucky if you see anybody else out there...let alone a Ranger. I have only seen a Ranger one time and that is the weekend after new years. That weekend it was packed probably about 3000 people out there. Right now there will hardly be anybody out there. No worries. Have fun :thumbsup: If you need directions let me know.

I am planning a weekend trip to California City over the weekend of the 25th. I am taking a few kids along that have only been riding a few months and was wondering where you would recommend. I am staying for the weekend and have a 26' toy hauler. All thoughts and input are welcome and thanks in advance.

-Greg

I'm taking a group out the same weekend, probably 3-4 families, with kids ranging from 4 to 15 years old. We used to ride Cal City A LOT but too many closures and people (on bigger weekends, anyway) led us to search elsewhere (the increase of marked trails over the years didn't help, either!). We go a little farther north now (about 20-30 minutes) usually to an area called "Dirt Diggers Camp", just south of Ridgecrest. It's on the "Friends of Jawbone" map, NE corner of 395 and Searle Station Road (heads out to Garlock). It's a great jumping off point, some wonderfull canyons open up with single track for days right near camp. The campsite is a nice big flat area, you can keep an eye on your kids zipping around for quite a distance. Spangler is just "over there", and Randsburg is close enought to take the kids on a ride there for a milkshake. Bowling in Ridgecrest on Saturday nite! It's trully a refreshing change, glad we don't go to the Cal City zoo any more! You just want to make sure a trip to Dirt Diggers doesn't coincide with a race. If you want detailed directions let me know (piece of cake), or let us know where you're going to end up and we'll take a ride over to see ya....

-lump

Visalia, CA

map of the area

friends of jawbone map, if you don't have one, get one!