Sign in to follow this  

Broken Toe 300 Ride Report ....... it's long so beware

Its long ... beware

WOW! What a ride. This was my first dual sport and all I can say is..... AMAZING.

Zac and Tim put on a great ride. Donna you rock! You handled all of the less glorified tasks like, registration, waivers, fees, unloading and then watching all the baggage. Thank you all I will remember it forever.

A special thanks to my good buddy Zac for helping me put on my newly aquired (late Friday night) Trick Dual Sport kit. ALL OF THIS BEFORE THE RIDE ON SATURDAY MORNING in about 45 minutes. Dale, thank you for the special delivery.

I had the opportunity to meet a lot of great people. It was great talking and riding with each of you throughout the event. It was also great meeting up with all the guys I have met and rode with before Can't wait to get together again. Oldedude, I had to ask Zac which guy was you too

Now the ride:

We arrive at the staging area at about 9 am next to a great little bar. Everyone is buzzing with energy preparing their groups to hit it. Zac is pointing out all the different TT names and introducing us. The first groups start to take off. It's on!!!! One after another everyone leaves. Zac and I remain as we wait for Motojason to arrive. We are itching to leave. Ok, we will wait til 9:15. Okay, 9:30 then we are gone. We must have left at 9:35 just missing him. Sorry man. Still can't believe how close we were.

Well we hit the road. The beginning of the ride was unexpected. The main road we were riding had been freshly watered by the forestry service and there was NO DUST! This can't last, I thought to myself but I am going to enjoy it while it does. And I did! We found our way to the main staging area at FH. And then we took off again. Not too far up trail 1 we came across a broken pumpkin. All jacked up, limping on a trail fence There was Dale! over on the ground trying to replace a tube. What? A nail in his tire? Sounds fishy to me, but.... we had to ride. Supermechanic, Zac rushes to the rescue and gets that tube replaced within 15 minutes. Umm I will let other's speak up about what happened later if they want.

As the wheel was being put back on, a rider came down, sorry don't remember who, think it was Ncalmike, and said Recon had gone down pretty bad and needed help. He was walking towards us. I rode Recon's bike to the main road and then doubled back on Zac's bike. Zac, you are a great rider. How you managed to ride us back up that trail with my extra tonage on your bike I'll never know All I know is I had a BOTB grip on yo ass so if I flew off the back you was comin with me sucka!! Luckily we arrived back without incident. The ride continued... The rest of the trail back to the road was fast paced and fun with all the waterbreaks we love so much.

On the road I found out a very painful reality. Zac's suzpuke was much faster then my superior DubR on the road. I couldn't keep up with him and he was gone! Don't worry my blue brothers, as I am geared much lower then him. Ask him, he knows what's up J/K.

The views down Foresthill and on were great. I had a permagrin the whole time, lookin like the joker from Batman or something. Zac was hungry so he had a little somethin special planned to cut a but of the mileage down but give us a great hill climb. It was a decent technical hillclimb and I really enjoyed it. Onward......

Those train tunnels, ohh those train tunnels were so much fun. I couldn't believe we were riding through them. When you first enter them it is almost spooky. Here you are, with your light sensitive goggles on, out in the sun, yes they were dark, you enter the tunnel and can't see sheet. You see tail lights and some dust but not much else. You proceed very cautiously. A few rev's of your bike and you feel like a god, the echo makes it sounds sooo great. Your goggles finally lighten up, and you can see some puddles but otherwise pretty smooth gravel. Vents or drains not sure which, allowed beams of light to come down through. It was a religious experience I tell you! I mean it man - it was great! So you keep riding a few hundred yards and then you exit the first tunnel. You look to your left and the first thing you see is Donner Lake and all its glory. What a view!! An overwhelming calming feeling rushed through my body. Everyone that came out of the tunnel was just gleaming with excitement. This was it, we were on a great adventure.

What? There's more? Yup you continue on down the grade and come up to another tunnel. This one I felt much more comfortable on... that is until I see what looked like a man on the side waving his flashlight eratically, you know scared for his life. I approached slowly and assured him I saw him. The long tunnel through the mountain was great too. Much cooler in there.

Once we were out of the tunnels we came up to the working train track in the area. I tried to convince Zac to add a trip through that tunnel for the added excitement factor but he declined

Later down the trail Zac and I came up to a rocky right hander with Two Wheels down in the rocks. He went down pretty hard and had a pretty raspberry growning out of his side. See pics later. He was ok but a little light headed because of altitude. Onward......

Riding through town was always a treat for me because of the history associated with the area. Getting gas in a small mountain town... nothing like it. I rode on the freeway for the first time since I was 15. WOOO HOOOO!!!

Lunch at Thin Air cycle shop was great. Those were the best damn burgers I ever had as I was starving. The hosts were great and the store had plenty of cool accessories. Oh man, what's that? Yup its Dale rolling in with a flat again! Same damn tire. Valve stem this time. What a break we were at a cycle shop heh? They replaced the tire and tube in short order. Dale took it all in stride and kept on going. Later he realized he lost his newly acquired plate! Bad things always happen in 3's. The rest of Dale's trip must have been great. Hope that 11 hour drive home went ok.

I absolutely loved the single track trails we took leading to the doorstep of Boomtown. They were so tight and weaved in and around a mountain range. We hit a hillclimb and took in the view for a minute and then toar it up some more. We made it! 125 miles of ectacy. I needed a clean pair of shorts

It was pretty cool in a cheesy way to see all of us dirty dirtbikers roll up and park our battle scarred bikes next to these Polished and Clean Harley's. One of the old men leaving tried to give me crap about looking like a Star Wars character. :yawn:

Check in was painful. I was tired and the freakin lady was SLOW!!! I was cranky! She was slow... you get the idea. Awwwww that beer tastes sooo good. And only 2.50 for premium? I have died and went to heaven. Life is good.

The only bad thing that happened for me besides the ride ending was a mishap in the shower. There wasn't a mat in the tub and I got in and slipped doing my best balet impersonation and landed backwards slamming on the floor. I tore the curtain down so the front desk was called. They were soo paranoid I needed emergency help. They sent up, paramedics, security, maintenance people, you name it. Any lawyers in the house ? Seriously though....

Ohhh and I am sorry to say, but the all you can eat Maine lobster I was soo looking forward to... ummm how you say??? SUCKED! The claws were the only part that was good. Can not recommend it. The rest of the food was good though. The Ribs? MMMMmmm. I looked over and who was it? My old ridin bud MIR and Dan. At first it didn't even dawn on me about the river comment

NorcalMike, it was great to finaly meet you. You crack me up When are we riding again?

Nighty night people, I went to bed. Not sooo fast. My daughter wanted to swim soo bad, we called around and all the pools were closed. she was crushed. Z&D's daughter Carly and her had been waiting all day. What's a dad to do? A tired dad at that? go to bed ? nope, I took her down to the family fun center and played games and went on rides for a couple of hours. What a great day.

Morning came fast. Even though Zac couldn't leave without me because I had the key to the lock Ohhh I wanted to sleep in, I got my tired arse up and back into the wicked shower. The hot water and the starbucks frap got me going and not much later I was down by the bikes ready to go. We had to help Scott load his bike in Zac's giant truck. What 10 people to do what with that XR650 full of gas and no ramp? Are you freakin crazy? Luckily we see a Boomtown employee with lift jack on the back of his pickup just in time. Zac convinced him to help. SCORE!!!!!

I decided to join Tim Sharp and Charlie on their ride back as they had a little somethin somethin planned extra. I am in !!! I don't take no stinkin b-lines anywhere Two Wheels, MIR, Dan, Tim, Charlie and Mir and Dan's friend (sorry I forgot your name) headed off.

One mishap separated our group for a little bit. We found eachother, kissed and hugged, then paid more attention to the intersections for the rest of the ride. We continued on and came across a great little lake in a prairie. Beautiful is all I heard from everyone. Great pictures followed. All I can say, is MIR and Dan, both riding without ACL's STUDS I TELL YOU!!! Dan, man dude, you are fast on that 520.

Finally I got to see the prosser area and all that they have to offer. There sure is a lot of trails around there and can't wait to come back. You can ride your bike right down to the shore. Single track trails are scattered everywhere in the wide open shores.

This is were MIR and his crew b-lined back and the four of us (Tim, Charlie, 2wheels, myself) went to Dan's for more great burgers! Thanks Charlie the burgers were great. I can't wait to come up and ride with you 2 again. Soon......

Blah blah blah, I am done. 250 miles later the ride ended without incident at the pub/staging area. We then motored on after dropping off 2 wheels and headed to Zac's. What a ride. Can't wait to do it next year and I hope I did it justice with my post ride story. Those of you that bailed... I can only imagine the empty feeling.

Pictures to follow soon

Fryboy

Fryboy that pretty much sums it up. Totally awesome weekend, my knee still hurts and yes the lobster does SUCK!! Can't wait to see the pics.

Dave,

Dan = John. John is on the 520 and Dan is my other riding buddy on the WR400. You and Dan led the way when we got lost and made up later. :thumbsup: Just helping get the names straight. John and I were at the river at Stoney with you and motojason pulling him out of the icey river.

No biggie, just setting it straight. I will have pics up tomorrow as well.

MIR

Dave,

Dan = John. John is on the 520 and Dan is my other riding buddy on the WR400. You and Dan led the way when we got lost and made up later. :devil: Just helping get the names straight. John and I were at the river at Stoney with you and motojason pulling him out of the icey river.

No biggie, just setting it straight. I will have pics up tomorrow as well.

MIR

Doh!!! Thanks for clearing that up for me. :thumbsup: Hope Dan is ok after that fall on the rocks. John, you are fassssst ! Look forward to riding with you 3 again.

I will try and get them pictures up soon, my PC is being held hostage

Fryboy

:devil::thumbsup:

Fryboy, Great ride report. Wish it wasn't so far for me to ride up there.

Corky :awww::lol:

I had the opportunity to meet a lot of great people. It was great talking and riding with each of you throughout the event.

This reminded me of something. I was at the end of Soda Springs Rd on Saturday, waiting for my ride partners, when this guy walks up asking me about the ride. I think he had already talked a little with Cisco, Fryboy, and some others, and he asks me, "You guys really put this ride together on the internet?" I told him yeah, in fact I had never actually met anyone on the ride before that morning. It totally blew him away.

So again, it was great meeting everyone, and I'm looking forward to opportunities to ride with any or all of you again. :thumbsup:

It was pretty cool in a cheesy way to see all of us dirty dirtbikers roll up and park our battle scarred bikes next to these Polished and Clean Harley's.

Yeah, we were a sight! The looks we got in the lobby were priceless! :D

I was asked if we were some kind of club, and one couple asked,"Are you guys in one of those enduro races?" They couldn't believe it when I told them, "No, we're just out for friendly little trail ride. How far? Well about 130 miles today, and about the same tomorrow." They both went :D

:devil::awww::lol::D:lol:

Heckler

I was thinking the same damn thing!! :awww::lol:

I love the part about the train tunnels!! :thumbsup:

Great right-up Fryboy.

dp400 :devil: