Sign in to follow this  

I can't get my fork cap bolt off!

I was unscrewing my fork cap bolt to replace the springs and got it unscrewed almost all the way, but that's it. It keeps rotating but won't come out. What am I doing wrong and what should I do?

I can't remember :lol:, is this the part that calls for the cold chisle and sledge hammer :thumbsup:

:devil::awww::D:lol::D :D :snore:

Seriously, now you pull down the inner tube :awww:

Well 10guy, I think you just told me what I did wrong. I left the forks on the bike thinking I could unscrew the cap, pull out the springs and replace them. I guess I'm going to have to take the forks off the bike.

I think what burned is saying is that the cap is attached to the internal rod, meaning that you need to compress the fork some to get access to the underside of the cap. As long as you lossen the triple clamp at the top, so the clamp is not compressing the threads, you can do it without taking the fork off.

Yeah what he said!!!! :thumbsup::devil::awww::lol:

Just losen the caps while the forks are on the bike, then slide them out of the clamps and have at it. Same thing putting them back on, get the caps on the rods then close up the forks re-install them and torque them to spec. :D

So I definitely need to take them off. Thanks Burned. I was hoping you would read this and reply. :thumbsup:

you can do it on the bike,but you really should be changing the fluid as well.