Sign in to follow this  

XR400 rear break wont work

I replaced the rear brake pads on my XR400 this weekend and took it out for a ride and about an hour into it the rear brake just stoped working. After taking it all apart and inspecting every part it all seems to be in working order. The pedal moves up and down and the brake fluid moves freely through the lines. The piston just wont move, has any one else had this happen or heard of it? is there a way to fix it or am I going to have to get a new rear brake set up?

1. You might try bleeding the fluid out with newer fluid.

2. Maybe the new pads are still mating to the old rotor?

3. What type of pads did you install?

Yeah I planed on trying to bleed the lines tonite

The pads are fitting good its the piston that wont move when i push down on the pedal the pads just stay inplace and dont move

The pads are EBC, but thanks im gonna try and bleeed the brakes

You may of got a bunch of air traped in the brake. When I replaced the front master cylinder it took a while to get all the air out. I had to tap the reservoir with a rubber mallet while I pumped the brake. Something simlar to this may of happened to the rear.

If bleeding doesn't work you may need to tear it down. You may need to take the piston out and flush the whole assembly with brake cleaner and new fluid.

I pulled off the rear master cylinder and the seals on the piston were worn down pretty bad, so i ordered a rebuild kit from www.servicehonda.com. I cleaned everything out and put it back together as is and bleed the lines and now the rear brakes works ok but im still gonna rebuild it when the kit gets here. but for now im just gonna ride with shifty back brakes cause the fronts still work fine

Interesting. Why didn't you get a rear caliper rebuild kit while you're at it? If brake rebuilding is unfamiliar, you might want to pick up a copy of the current Motorcyclist magazine; it has an article on brake inspect/clean/rebuild in it. Larry

I got the rebuild kit and its works fine but I think my rotor is warped becuase the pads were worn uneven. I picked up a rear brake system for a 96 CR250 from my freind who had one he wasnt using, he sold it to me for 20 bucks so i figured i could use it some how and plus it was cheap. I looks like it will just bolt on cause the rotors are the same size and all I gotta do is take the entire old rear brakes system off and put the new one on and I think it sould work, plus i read on here before that the XR400 and the CR250 had the same brakes that year.