Sign in to follow this  

Hot Cam Question. . .

What would work better with a 488 big bore kit? Stage 1 or Stage 2? How's the Stage 1? Does it sign off way earlier than stock or take away a lot of top end. I ride motocross only. . .

stage one is for low end, so if you tend to shift early, go for that. Stage two is for top end so if your banging the rev limiter get that. no the stage one wont take any away from the top, it will feel like stock.

The stage 2 Hot Cam is a much better match for the big bore IMO if you are looking to keep as much of the original CRF engine characteristics as possible. If you just want a stump pulling monster then the stage 1 is a great choice.

if i had that 488 kit, i'd go with the stage one cam. it has a less aggressive grind, so your vavles could possibly live longer, and then you would have even more power at a lower rpm, so you wouldn't need to be hittin the rev limiter for power.

Well, I don't really want a "tractor", but some low end gain and mid range punch would be nice. How much over rev would I be sacrificing with the stage 1 cam? I'm kind of caught in the middle here now. I already ordered the stage 1 cam, but had second thoughts on whether or not it'd compliment my big bore kit. As long as it doesn't kill the top end or cause me to short shift, I think I could live with it. Any other insights? Thanks for the help.

tim i would have to agree with rich---i use the stage two with big boars, and as long as you have good compression and install the cam on the correct loab center by degreeing it in they pull and rev hard.--------i know this is not what you wanted to hear------now i have used the stage one for some guys and they liked it ,--but i like having the best of both ends of power if i can !!

I have the stage two hotcam and I love it. My bike didn't lose any bottom end at all with the stage two, it's perfect for motocross. If you were racing supercross then I would say get the stage one, but for motocross the stage two is the way to go. I also have the r/d spring kit, I also recommend this spring kit because it reduce's valve floating at hight rpm.

Decisions, decisions. . . :thumbsup: Would I really need to degree my cam upon install, or is it possible to do it without?

Unless you have a slotted cam gear all you can do is bolt it in and go. It's not a problem because the Hot Cam is designed to run straight up in the standard Honda timing position.

If you want to try moving the power around at a later date, using a slotted cam gear will allow you to degree the cam at different intake lobe centers.

I also have the r/d spring kit,

What is the "R/D" in the R/D spring kit. Also what valves did you go with? Stock? SS? or aftermarket Ti? Where did you get yours from?

I just rode with mine today. An ease to install and it works great! I didn't lose top end and instead of chugging in low second when you should be in high first it just gets up and goes. :cry: