Sign in to follow this  

engine rebuild... suggestions?

Well, after 15000+ miles of hard riding, I've decided to rebuild the motor of my trusty '01 DRZ S. Cost is definitely an issue, but I'd also like to get some better performance too. With that in mind... what do folks suggest? Should I get a 450 kit? Is there some other big bore option, for less $$? I don't really want to buy a new carb, is that practical? What have other folks done? Thanks!

Well, after 15000+ miles of hard riding, I've decided to rebuild the motor of my trusty '01 DRZ S.

I'm in the same boat, been thinking of a stroker crank, $900, carb, $400 and cams, $200. Then I start thinking of changing the older style forks and the idea of getting a newer bike starts looking better all the time. Maybe look for an E with real low miles, transfer what you like from the S to it then sell the '01 S. This has crossed my mind lately.

unfortunately the stroker will cost a bunch more than just the $900 for the crank.the special extra length head/cylinder bolts that are needed are custom made by ARP and ridiculously expensive.a sv650 cam chain also be shortened using a master link.

the extra height of the head is about .500". head pipe clearance and well carb clearance may be a issue.

the drz's that are 503 are dirt trackers that are framers.meaning they arent in stock chassis.

unfortunately the stroker will cost a bunch more than just the $900 for the crank.the special extra length head/cylinder bolts that are needed are custom made by ARP and ridiculously expensive.a sv650 cam chain also be shortened using a master link.

the extra height of the head is about .500". head pipe clearance and well carb clearance may be a issue.

the drz's that are 503 are dirt trackers that are framers.meaning they arent in stock chassis.

Burned does all that only apply to a 10mm longer stroke crank?

Will the Yosh or Falicon 67.6 crank drop in without any of those rather extensive changes?

nope,that still a 5mm stroke change.if your gonna do it,go big.not a sissy 5mm stroker.go for the 10mm. :thumbsup:

450cc Billet Crank / Big Bore Mod Kit

We modify your Cylinder and add our Billet Crank.

92mm Bore x 67.5mm Stroke = 449cc

Includes:

Dirt Track Billet Full Circle 67.6mm Stroker Crank

Falicon Knife Rod - Long

Big Bore Modification - 92mm

Piston Kit (JE 92mm) Stroker Compression

Installation Kit (gaskets, spacer plate)

SA-S-DR4 Adjustable Cam Sprocket

Does NOT include:

Long Cam Chain

Longer Cylinder Studs

this kit is $1900 without the extras.for $650 you cna do the same cc's with bore. :devil:

IC IC your point. It would be kinda kewl to have a DRZ503. :thumbsup:

So last question I promise. :devil: What about the Yosh then? Same rules apply or do they use a diff rod or what? Do they supply those components with the kit?

yosh uses a different piston pin location.uses a offset crank pin,stock rod.

no cylinder spacer so no need for longer bolts or chain.

Good info, I was thinking the 10mm crank and spacer was $900 and I knew about the cam chain. How much are the bolts? The radiator/header may be a small issue on mine, but the carb has lots of room. I was thinking of doing just the stroke and keeping the bore the same(stock), I can always increase the bore later if I don't get the power I need, but I think it will be fine for power. I just want to lower the power band and get loads of torque. Any further issues/costs? If it continues to add up I may just dump the '01 S. I have been living with my initial mis-step of getting the S over the E, in Idaho, making the E street legal is a no brainer.

Live and learn.

Look guys if you don't have burneds experience you have no business messing with that wildly stroked bike. He will know exactly what it takes to keep it running we'll be sitting with a broken motor wishing we did know. Stick to the Millenium or Yosh setups. Pro wrenches like Eddie are just what I wrote pros. I may have raced flatrack but I wasn't my bike builder I had my mechanic. If it had been just me it would have been junk ages ago. My old bike is still around somewhere because a guy I used to race with sees it on the ice every winter. The old monster is still winning too. prairiedawg :thumbsup::awww::devil:

WOW, $125 a bolt. They must have some guy in the back making them with a file :thumbsup:. I bet they are a pretty standard size, just different length. Will have to check some of Suzuki's other bikes for a replacement.

He will know exactly what it takes to keep it running we'll be sitting with a broken motor wishing we did know.

Live and learn PDawg, stop learning, stop liven. :thumbsup:

When they put a magic button on one I may do just that. If you read my first post, you will see that is one of the options I have been looking at. With that said, I am still lookin for more torque, not so much more HP. Maybe if Honda came out with a NEW XR400, water cooled, E-start, but I think I am dreaming there.

Ya man i ride with some guys who have the 450's and you ain't gonna touch them on no drz thats for sure. But when it comes to starting after a brake i hit the button and get the jump on them :devil::thumbsup:

alot cheaper and loads more reliable.

Cheaper yes but...

I dont know about the whole loads more reliable thing.

I hear about the valve munching habits of the others and I tend to shun away. Not that you couldnt make a DRZ munch valves but I dont think anything else out there is as reliable and keeps takin a beating.

Also there are more factors.... In CA at least after 03 the DRZ400S was the only real option for street legality. And since I need it street legal I dont got much options here. :thumbsup:

+ I am sure she will make a wonderful supermoto weapon runnin a bigger motor. :devil: