Sign in to follow this  

Skidplate for CRF230F

Hi, do any of you CRF230f riders use a Moose Skidplate?

And was it easy to install?

DanmacK.....................................................

You may want to ask dirtdaddy about the utah skidplate. He can give you all the down low and it looks like a really good skidplate for rocky situations :thumbsup:

Mothership has a Utah plate on her 230F.. It works very well except,, for not having enough protection up high on the right side. This is a common concern with every plate. I am adding a small wing to her plate to protect the side of the motor,, which took a huge hit on a ride not long ago.. So I know it is a vulnerable.

DirtDaddy: How the heck is your engine that color? Mines red and looks like pottery... :thumbsup:

DirtDaddy: How the heck is your engine that color? Mines red and looks like pottery... :devil:

Scrubbing Bubbles, a water hose, and WD40.

:thumbsup:

Hi, do any of you CRF230f riders use a Moose Skidplate?

And was it easy to install?

DanmacK.....................................................

So danmack, where is MA do you ride? I know of a few good places around here. RiddinRed knows some good places too. Did just steal your post? :thumbsup: I think I have been doin that to much lately to people. :devil: So where ya ridin?

DIRTDADDY........Mine looks just like the one on yer bike!

Three hooks w/nutz & boltz and a bolt w/two washers.

I'll be asking questions if I cant get it on for any reason.

It looks straight foward though...I always get a funny feeling when I see hardwhere that looks way too simple...lol.(have to wait till wknd.) :thumbsup:

DanmacK.....................................

...I always get a funny feeling when I see hardwhere that looks way too simple...lol

It _is_ way simple to install. Just gotta have patience and enjoy lying on your back for a few minutes to line things up.

:thumbsup:

I just got my CRF230F a few weeks ago ....so I have not been out on it much. :thumbsup:

I got my bike to ride with my son :devil: He has a XR70 I got him last winter. :awww:

We have been to Uxbridge Motorsports park several times, Franklin & Georgetown S.F.'s and a 007 place outside of Boston. My son raced in the Small-Fry Scrambles at Freetown and we camped over at Richardsons Farm (races)and he raced in the peewee hare scrambles and in the mini's class the next day.

He is not reddy for the mini's ...lol...almost.

How about you? have we met ? or have we been to the same places? We are members of Pilgram Sands Trail Riders, NEDB and a few others.....also AMA Members and we have new shinnny OHV plates!....Lol.

DanmacK..................................

Mothership has a Utah plate on her 230F.. It works very well except,, for not having enough protection up high on the right side. This is a common concern with every plate. I am adding a small wing to her plate to protect the side of the motor,, which took a huge hit on a ride not long ago.. So I know it is a vulnerable.

I here you, post a pic of that mod after U get it done , I'd like to see that .....and good luck welding ....that stuff....is it 6061T ?

DanmacK....................................... :thumbsup:

I dont live down the cape but I ride in that area. I ride in Plymouth/Bourne, I want to ride at the F. Gilbert hills state forest in Foboro. I havent been to uxbridge but I would like to go there somtime. I havent met anybody with a 230 yet but I have been trying to find someone with one so I could finaly decide if that is the right next bike for me. What are the "pilgram sands trail riders". How is Frankin, I live only like two towns away from frankin. Its great to hear about other riders in MA. I dont know many people that ride here. Maybe we can ride sometime, how old is your son my little brother would like to have a new riding partner :thumbsup: Despite the cc's difference in his 110 and the 70 your kid has the bikes are actually quite similar.

....is it 6061T ?

DanmacK.......................

Quoted from Utah Sport Cycles website;

* Utah Sport Cycle Skidplates are the most successful and widely used off-road motorcyle skidplates in the world.

* Custom designed and fitted for each individual model.

* Full money back guarentee on all products Refund Policy

* Quality constructed from 5/32" (.160) 5052-H32 Aluminum with a clear anodized finish.

* Securely mounted using our exclusive, tough, heat treated 4130 chrome-moly steel clamps.

* Cutouts are provided for oil drains so the plate doesn't need to be removed to perform routine maintenance.

* Easy installation! All you need is the appropriate wrenches and five minutes of your time.

I dont live down the cape but I ride in that area. I ride in Plymouth/Bourne, I want to ride at the F. Gilbert hills state forest in Foboro. I havent been to uxbridge but I would like to go there somtime. I havent met anybody with a 230 yet but I have been trying to find someone with one so I could finaly decide if that is the right next bike for me. What are the "pilgram sands trail riders". How is Frankin, I live only like two towns away from frankin. Its great to hear about other riders in MA. I dont know many people that ride here. Maybe we can ride sometime, how old is your son my little brother would like to have a new riding partner :thumbsup: Despite the cc's difference in his 110 and the 70 your kid has the bikes are actually quite similar.

www.pstr.org

Franklin S.F. is cool some partz are a little to much for my son's XR70R but he kept up. There are a few rock gardens uphill. We are newbies so ...I can't give a good review. But the place is cool ....there was a bunch of pick-up's there with riders yong and old and there was no problems.

The man is twelve on trail days. Get-it? He rides peewee 2.

Go here if U want to know about riding in MA.---New England

www.nedirtbikes.com

Hey maby we can hook up , these guys meet at legal places and ride .I'm danmack there too.

I am not pushing this site ...I am just tring to help U find places to ride in MA.

DanmacK....................................................

....is it 6061T ?

DanmacK.......................

Quoted from Utah Sport Cycles website;

* Utah Sport Cycle Skidplates are the most successful and widely used off-road motorcyle skidplates in the world.

* Custom designed and fitted for each individual model.

* Full money back guarentee on all products Refund Policy

* Quality constructed from 5/32" (.160) 5052-H32 Aluminum with a clear anodized finish.

* Securely mounted using our exclusive, tough, heat treated 4130 chrome-moly steel clamps.

* Cutouts are provided for oil drains so the plate doesn't need to be removed to perform routine maintenance.

* Easy installation! All you need is the appropriate wrenches and five minutes of your time.

And U can weld 5052 , good for you . I cant weld too good myself. I guess with a new modern welder it may be easy..

I did try to weld some of that stuff once and I just kept on melting the crap outta' it....lol. I guess thats why I am not a welder.

DanmacK...................................................

I wasn't convinced that the straps holding the Utah plate would be noise free. SOmething about sheetmetal touching the frame that led me to believe there would be noises down the road. I know I'm opinionating something that could be a nonissue with others who have used it, but having had a skid plate that held together by the U straps, I had problems with them loosening up and then vibrating like crazy.

I went w/ SUmmers racing skid plate, which costs about 30% more than the Utah. They used standoffs pressed into the plate, and the center holes line up to the existing threaded holes on the motor. Also, the sides of the Summers product consists of three pie shaped edges that are then tig welded along the seams to form a cup shaped side protectors. THe welds are strong - and that's where I saw the Utah unit, with a flat side surface, cutting corners on their design. THere's alot more welds (read mfg. operations) on the Summers skidplate.

You must work for SRC... :thumbsup:

I don't see where Utah "cut corners" on their plate. I think they did a great job building their product. More welds on much smaller plates does not mean it's better. Only more parts to split and break. I think you should know what you're talking about by actually checking out the Utah skidplate and physically handle both before you make judgements like that. I handled the SRC plate at my local Honda dealer. I almost bought it right there. After I discovered Utah's, I sent for it. I think I came out better all around for it too.

The Utah skidplate is noise free. It is well built and is very strong. Hasn't loosened up one bit since I installed it. I've smashed into rocks, logs, etc over the last year I've had it on. Not one problem. I will definitely let you all know if there are any problems.

YMMV