Sign in to follow this  

Valve grinding/head work

The 02 drz 400e stopped running.After a compression check(22 psi).I decided to tear the head off and have a look see.The valves are all intact but appear to be way out of adjustment.Since the head is off I thought I would send it out for work,but I wouldn't know where to send it.Also should I be thinking bigger and better mods.Any suggestions will be appreciated.

22PSI??. 4 stroke or any motor won't run at that??. If I was in your position I'd look at valves,valve seats,valve clearences,valve timing???, + piston clearences and ring seal!!. At that low compresion I'd expect that the timing chain has jumped???. a couple teeth or more!!. Go to the expert, BURNED!!!. :thumbsup:

I suspect you are correct on bent valves issue as this condition occurred after I dunked the bike in too deep water(a mistake)I'm not sure how to identify which cam tensioner I have.The cams were lined up properly while @ tdc(15 pins apart W/arrows and numbers properly positioned.

sounds like the valves are bent,not way out of adjustment.

what cam chain tensioner did it have?

lobes at 10 & 2 cam gears still located with original factory paint markings.cam gears and chain looked in good shape( to the naked eye )valves were tight at tdc no clearance what so ever.

My first thought right after injesting water was that I bent some thing(valves or Con rod)I'm just not sure which way to go from here.Piston looked clean and bore was smooth.I have not removed cylinder yet.

head removed cams remove I poured gas into both sides. no leak down past valves.Please advise

neither.I rode it out of the woods but it was getting pretty loud (rapping)from the head .I shut it down.The next time I tried to start it ran for a minute and then backfired and that was all she wrote.

hard to say.very strange about the zero clearance.

im sure once you tear the head down and get the cylinder off you will have a better idea.check out the rod closely.