Sign in to follow this  

450 exc or 525 exc

I am trying to decide on which bike to get, 450 exc or 525 exc. I ride a 1999 klx 300 and I like it but it just weighs too much for the amount of power it has. It is also not known for its reliabilty. I am the kind of guy who likes to have torque at all times. I rider everything from super tight single trails to fire trails. I want a bike that I can put a license plate on it and ride some dual sports or even race in a harescramble or a GNCC race. I was also wondering about the reliablity of both of these bikes, because I am debating on doing the Michigan 6 day ride. If any of you have either one of these bikes could you please give some of the things you like about the bikes, especially the 525.

They're reliable bikes for racing four strokes but they will be more work to maintain than your KLX. You're trading off some reliability for performance and handling. That's true of any of the RFS's from Honda, Yamaha, KTM, etc. None of them are really intended as dual sports, either.

Both bikes have plenty of torque. The 525 will have more lowend power, though. The 450 is by no means weak down low but it is a bit softer. What is often called an enduro powerband.

I had an 03 KTM 450 that I used for trail riding and Hare and Hound racing. I had it tagged so I could also do some dual sport riding. I recently bought a new KTM and had the same question you have (450 or 525). I decided on the 450 because it seemed to turn easier in the tight stuff and that was a big consideration for me because I'm 5'6" and only weigh 160#.

Doesn't the KLX300 weight 231 dry? If that weights too much you should think about a 2-stroke. Maybe a 200EXC.

The KTM RFS's have E-start which is worth 10+ pounds cause you don't have to kick it. The KLX can be a pain sometimes to kick. I had a 96 250 though, I hear the 300's are better.

I got the 525EXC, and if I bought another I'd get the 525 again.

Cheers,