mileage for synthetic oil?

Probably because there used to be a clutch slip issue with earlier synthetics. Shouldn't be a problem now, though.

Ian

Not in the last 15 years or so,, and only so with folks that used non motorcycle Syn oils in their wet clutch bikes....you do have to be smarter then the parts and equipment your working with If that old info is what they guy is recommending on,,,, Yikes :awww:?:devil: Him and his shop are way out of date and should be avoided for all information.. By all means if you get good prices on stuff you like,, do it.. but forget his info.

Or Better yet,, ask him why he has that point of view? Maybe he is just misguided on that point,, but has good stuff to share and assist you with,,, so I reserve my "idiot" comment until you get the rest of the story ?

Probably because there used to be a clutch slip issue with earlier synthetics. Shouldn't be a problem now, though.

Ian

Not in the last 15 years or so,, and only so with folks that used non motorcycle Syn oils in their wet clutch bikes....you do have to be smarter then the parts and equipment your working with If that old info is what they guy is recommending on,,,, Yikes ?:awww:? Him and his shop are way out of date and should be avoided for all information.. By all means if you get good prices on stuff you like,, do it.. but forget his info.

Or Better yet,, ask him why he has that point of view? Maybe he is just misguided on that point,, but has good stuff to share and assist you with,,, so I reserve my "idiot" comment until you get the rest of the story :devil:

I've tried synthetics oils for cars with no clutch slip problems. Hell I've even tried Slick50 and the clutch worked fine. I've heard that as long as you use an oil that doesn't have "energy conservation" marked on the case, it should be ok. Thats pretty much any oil thicker than 10W30.

I've tried synthetics oils for cars with no clutch slip problems. Hell I've even tried Slick50 and the clutch worked fine. I've heard that as long as you use an oil that doesn't have "energy conservation" marked on the case, it should be ok. Thats pretty much any oil thicker than 10W30.

Cars and trucks don't share engine/transmission oils like the DRZ.

Mike -

Ya, not on a DR, but my VFR and other bikes too. I've tried so many different types of car oils in bikes, synthetic and regular, and i've never had clutch slipping problems. I don't actually have a DR yet but am planning on getting one very soon. That's why I've been reading a lot of the posts. When I do get my DRZ400S, i'll probably use a car synthetic oil in it too. Might skip the slick50 this time cause i don't think it really did much, although i have seen it improve my car's fuel mileage.

i've never had clutch slipping problems

How about clutch replacement problems? I thought Slick50 was basically a bottle of friction modifiers, bad for clutch, way too slickery :devil:. Thats why they have the JASO MA approved ratings for wet clutches. Good luck getting your DRZ, welcome to the show. ?

Mike -

i've never had clutch slipping problems

How about clutch replacement problems? I thought Slick50 was basically a bottle of friction modifiers, bad for clutch, way too slickery :devil:. Thats why they have the JASO MA approved ratings for wet clutches. Good luck getting your DRZ, welcome to the show. ?

Mike -

I've never kept a bike for more than 4 years so I don't know if it had any long term problems caused by the slick50. But in the time i had the bike, it definitly was fine. Dont get me wrong though, i'm not recommending slick50 for bikes. It didnt cause any problems, but I didn't see any benefits either. Plus the stuff isn't cheap. Thats why i'd probably just use car synthetic oils. It's cheaper than bike oils and seems to work well.

Why put slick 50 in a bike for. There are motorcycle oils that are nothing short of amazing out right now. I get my synthetic for 6 bucks a quart. That's 12 bucks for oil I know will be absolutly great for my bike. Why because it's the exact same thing burned runs in his. He knows not just Suzukis but all the bikes. He just likes the all around potential to this one. Me too. As soon as I can mine is going to be my main street hauler. I know it can do it. because plenty of other guys have already done it. Now they even have a seat for my ample butt. I'm plum out of excuses. My dirt days were numbered by my back anyways. I thank God I lasted as long as I did. I think it will make a awesome street bike. Look out Yosh ti pipe here I come. I'll go 436 when it wears to need such. prairiedawg ?

I've been use Mobil 1 15W50 in all my bikes including the DRZ with no issues. Been using it in bikes since the late 80's. I have a VFR with 31K miles and I've been using it since it had 1000 miles on it, no problems.

Have you guys seen the article in Motorcycle Consumer News a few months ago? It was a two month long article and in the end their comment was "They don't see any need to spend extra money on motorcycle specific oils". Good enough for me. Heck even my owners manual states to use regular car oils.

Glenn

I've been use Mobil 1 15W50 in all my bikes including the DRZ with no issues. Been using it in bikes since the late 80's. I have a VFR with 31K miles and I've been using it since it had 1000 miles on it, no problems.

Have you guys seen the article in Motorcycle Consumer News a few months ago? It was a two month long article and in the end their comment was "They don't see any need to spend extra money on motorcycle specific oils". Good enough for me. Heck even my owners manual states to use regular car oils.

Glenn

I didnt catch that article, but I did read another one about the same thing. Someone put 100,000 Miles on a CBR using regular car oil and the bike was perfectly fine. I think he went on and put another 100,000 miles and the bike and it was still running good.

Why put slick 50 in a bike for. There are motorcycle oils that are nothing short of amazing out right now. I get my synthetic for 6 bucks a quart. That's 12 bucks for oil I know will be absolutly great for my bike. Why because it's the exact same thing burned runs in his. He knows not just Suzukis but all the bikes. He just likes the all around potential to this one. Me too. As soon as I can mine is going to be my main street hauler. I know it can do it. because plenty of other guys have already done it. Now they even have a seat for my ample butt. I'm plum out of excuses. My dirt days were numbered by my back anyways. I thank God I lasted as long as I did. I think it will make a awesome street bike. Look out Yosh ti pipe here I come. I'll go 436 when it wears to need such. prairiedawg ?

What specific oil are you using? I just bought a quart of silkolene 15-50 and it was $14. Please let me know were I can get it for $6 bucks. Did I get ripped off?