Sign in to follow this  

wide ratio vs: close ratio gearing

the close ratio transmission the the cr450s has;is it all dissapointing if you ever need to get the lead out.or does it have some much power and a broad power band so that it doesnt matter? i know that the close ratio gearing is better in alot of ways,but is there a downside to it?

how fast have you fellas topped out at and whats the close ratio gearing like?

I started looking into the baja designs WR, but too expensive for me. From what I could tell the first three gears were geared the same and third and fourth were different (faster top speed). For the type trails I ride in Michigan I dont find a need for the top end speed of a WR.

With the stock gear set (and sprockets) 45mph was about all I could do comfortably. After I added the wide ratio set I could do 55mph without the feeling of winding it out. The CRF has so much torque that the bigger step between gears wasn't really an issue----almost better feeling actually. RR.

45 mph??? thats a wee bit slow.where i ride its almost mandatory to be able to go 60+. there are these real long stretches of abandoned roads which are paved. (no cars) in order to keep up with my buddies i need to be going at least 60.is there anyway i could put different gearing in it so it got a little more top end,or am i better off with the WR450??

I am installing the wide ratio tranny in my bike now and it should drop about 1500-2000rpm off my cruise speed at 75mph. I can run 115mph with 15/39 gearing.

FYI: According to the Honda spec sheet, the 2004 & 2005 models come stock with 13/48T.

On my 450R, what I notice is that first gear isn't low enough for really tight (for out here in California) or steep or nasty stuff. And 5th gear isn't nearly as nice as 6th gear on my KTM 520 E/XC. Will you notice it in "normal" riding?

It depends completely on you.

I wouldn't take my 450R on fast fire roads, for instance, without gearing it up a bit.

Think about it: the stock gearing is designed to maximize your time around the motocross track, with 5th gear thrown in as a bonus. So stock, if you screamed it, maybe you can do 75mph. I know I've been 60+ on my stock gearing.

It is the range of low - high that a wide ratio gear box gets you. If I had the $$$, I'd buy the Baja Designs for my bike in a heart beat. But I spend a fair amount of time crawling around in tight or steep or gnarly places. If you are willing and able to slip the clutch, then it only really matters in clutch life.