Sign in to follow this  

Radiator boiling ?

I just bought my 1st DRZ400 which is a 2001 with low hours & in great shape. I rode my 1st enduro with it this weekend & while riding a 12mph section we stopped for a reset & my radiator was boiling over into the overflow tank which had plenty of fluid & stopped after a couple minutes. Another rider there told me that was normal for DRZ's but I was concearned. The temp out was around 90 & after I rode a faster section it never did get hot.

Should I be worried about the impeller in the water pump or what?

Will do. I did notce it has a 1.1 on the cap. But otherwise as long as it's not overheating all the time it should be ok?

Also when I change the oil in my XR650L I put 1 qt then start it for a second cut it off then add the rest. should I do the same with the DRZ? Haven't picked up a service manual yet.

Other than that this is 1 awesome trail bike, it has the torque of my 650 with the handling of a CR250. I LIKE IT !

The stock pipe contributes to the overheating; aftermarket pipe will help breathing and reduce boiling.

The pipe has nothing to do with boil over. Slow technical sections where the rider is forced to run slow at higer rpms will cause boil over. I found that running the antifreeze about a 1/4 inch from the top of the radiator minimizes boil over (check with cold engine!!). PS using Engine Ice to prevent boil over will not help either!!

The only way I was able to stop my overheating problem was to mount fans on my radiators. I can now ride slow spedds on 90 degree days and not overheat.

250xfans1.jpg

I talked to another DRZ rider at the enduro & he had done the same thing with the fans. Where did you get your fans & did you modify brackets or did they come with ? Also are they controlled by a thermostat, run all the time, or manual control. :thumbsup:

When my bike had burned some no toil and made a mess all over the top end with layers of thick burned carbonization.... (because I over-oiled the air filter) the bike never got very hot at all and really was lacking on power...

Now that I got that mess all straightened out + went to E compression ratio etc. she runs 20 times better but boy oh boy does she run hotter. You can feel heat radiating off the motor after a high RPM stretch every time.

So take it as a good thing that she gets hot. Means shes running strong. :thumbsup:

I like the computer fan idea. The stock fan was too big and askin to get broke. Removed mine. Guess its all about the type of riding you do. :devil:

Look for a post from 9-14-2004 "Anyone have an S fan" I listed some details of how I mounted my fans.